Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void in Plastic parts

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
adevadkar
599 Views, 3 Replies

Void in Plastic parts

Hello Guys,

I am working on parts which having some thick cross section areas present in parts,
Ai got the large amount of Avg Volumetric shrinkage. (8-10%), There are chances of getting voids inside the parts at thick sections, can we detect voids inside the parts, is there any way to represent this in Moldflow results other than volumetric shrinkage? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mason.myers
in reply to: adevadkar

Hello @adevadkar ,

I am co-presenting this topic at our Moldflow Summit on April 16-17th.  I have a script  to calculate voids but I would like to wait until we present to share with the community.

Some of us at Autodesk have a theory that increasing volumetric shrinkage could lead to voids.  Assuming your run a Fill+Pack, you can then create a new Calculated Plot.  I title the Plot "Voids" and select Volumetric Shrinkage, last time stamp and then Volumetric Shrinkage first time stamp.  Once the plot is created, I go to plot properties - Scaling and choose Specified.  I then set the Min value to be ~64% of the Max value.  This 64% can be adjusted up if needed.  Finally, I deselect Extended Color.  I have seen good results comparing this method to CT scans of actual parts.

Mason

Message 3 of 4
PascalGosset
in reply to: adevadkar

Hi simulators,

This week, I met this problem once again.
7 years ago (my goodness!) I posted an answer about it.
I got interresting repplies, especially from Hanno van Raalte, but nothing definitive.
You can read my post here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/moldflow-insight-forum/predict-the-voids/m-p/6974964

Mason,

I tried to test your method on the little hook I studed this week.
With the thickest version, it predicts a void. It is what I expected.
But with the thinner version, it predicts also a void. I hope it won't be the case.

PascalGosset_0-1711719347072.png

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

Message 4 of 4
mason.myers
in reply to: PascalGosset

Hello @PascalGosset ,

Thank you for the feedback.  I agree, I doubt you will see a void in that thinner area.  My intent was to use something similar to the air trap plot with the varying levels of severity.  For the voids, I would focus more on the red areas as a higher probability.  Again, this was more of an awareness tool however we have seen good success comparing this plot to CT scans on actual parts.

Mason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report