Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with correlation for a School Project

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
432 Views, 2 Replies

Problem with correlation for a School Project

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm a mechanical engineering student and for a school project I work with an industry on the fatigue behaviour of Small Glass Fiber Reinforced thermoplastics.

To obtain the material card up to date with this new topic, I have to study the fiber orientation in the part after injection.

One previous study has been made by the material supplier of the industry I'm working with on one part, so I took it as a first state of comparison for me.

My problem is, even on that part I can't have the results of fiber orientation : and I'm using the same parameters that are found in the analysis log.

I don't know where the error come from. Is it because I'm using a student license and not a professional one?

Best regards,

Guillaume ROTH

Engineering student 5th year

ENIM (Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieur de Metz)

g.roth@enim.fr

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raalteh
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Guillaume,

it's not entirely clear from the description if you are using Moldflow Insight (which is granted to universities for teaching purposes) or Moldflow Adviser (which has a student version).

If you are using Moldflow Adviser, older versions of the software did not show fiber orientation results (this was added in the 2016 release though).

If you are using Moldflow Insight, make sure you are using a material that has fiber filllers in them (you can check the material data) and that you have a check box in the 'fiber orientation if fiber filled material' is checked in the 'fill settings' window in the process setting wizard.

Other than that I'm not sure why you would not see fiber orientation results.

Hanno

Hanno van Raalte,

Product Manager - Injection Molding & Moldflow products
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: raalteh

Hi Hanno,

Thank you for the answer.

With the questions you asked in your reply, I can complete the informations.

I'm using moldflow Insight 2016. The material I'm using is PPS GF 40 which is a material with fibers.

My problem is not that I'm not seeing the fiber orientation. The problem is : I'm using the same part, same material, the same machine datas, the same solver datas (for some I had to ask because they are not visible in the analysis log of the Moldflow viewer) than our supplier. The only thing that changes is the number of nodes, but it's quite the same and I've tried with 4 times more nodes than the supplier file and it didn't change anything.

So my problem is that the result of the fiber orientation is different on my analysis than on the supplier (I obtain 0.92 on one direction whereas the other simulation obtain 0.84). Every line visible on the analysis log has been checked and is the same as the supplier file. (their result was correlated on a real part).

So I don't understand the difference and I'm totally lost.

Best regards,

Guillaume ROTH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report