Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meshmixer 3.5 Mac installer no longer available?

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
dromero23
49958 Views, 33 Replies

Meshmixer 3.5 Mac installer no longer available?

I noticed that the Meshmixer 3.5 Mac installer is no longer available on the Meshmixer website. Only the Windows installer is listed. Will the Mac installer be added back to the site or is it no longer available? I realize that Autodesk no longer supports Meshmixer and encourages using Fusion 360 instead, but I thought the Meshmixer installers would remain available. We rely on Meshmixer for our curriculum and projects. Any advice is much appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
user21600
in reply to: dromero23

2 years and no response. what a horrible service from the company.

just say you dont want to support it anymore instead of saying you will be working on it which you obviously havent since its dragged out over 2 years.

be an honorable company and just clearly state you are ending support so other people can crack the software so we can use without your support.

Message 22 of 34
user21600

i will never buy autocad...company has no support where it matters.

i use windows and mac but they need to operate on both platforms if they want to be a distinguished name in 3d.

Message 23 of 34

Meshmixer website clearly states that MM receives no support.

While we have no current plans to retire Meshmixer, please note that the tool is no longer in development and will not be supported by Autodesk moving forward.

Steffen Anders

Autodesk Netfabb Team

Netfabb resources: Online HelpNetfabb knowledge baseForumsHomepageYouTube
Message 24 of 34

Sorry, we came to the support page to ask a question that is not CLEARLY found on the webpage, and who knows where you pulled that out of; In addition, the prior support people implied there would be updates or security updates. Your tone in your response is not appreciated.
Message 25 of 34
the_makertrove

Sorry for reviving this conversation but even with the current version of Fusion 360, I do not think it matches meshmixer in terms of capability and performance. Fusion 360 is extremely slow compared to meshmixer (on the same hardware) and often gives up on the mesh operations, showing only some obscure error message which do not help in troubleshooting. Either meshmixer for Mac should be reinstated or Fusion 360 should be fixed to match.

Message 26 of 34
paulRUXNZ
in reply to: the_makertrove

Thanks for adding your response.  Long live Meshmixer!!

Message 27 of 34
MagWeb

Six years since they passed Meshmixer code from AutodeskResearch to Autodesk's Netfab branch in Parsberg Germany.

Since Netfab guys got the code there was no development/support at all. The one and only "update" the Parsberg guys did was MM 3.5 which simply disabled MM's update feature (against all those promises when I met Netfab guys together with Ruslana and Tyson at Regensburg).

Now MM is a six year old zombie. Wonder why a zombie lives that long? Maybe because of needs? Long live zombies!!

The only "security issue" I could detect is that MM wants to be the standard  app to open mesh files and newer macOs versions block that attempt (Yep, I kept the installer).

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 28 of 34
paulRUXNZ
in reply to: MagWeb

Thanks for your response to this thread!  Having a master MM user as yourself contribute to the prescient topic means a lot.  We can only hope that Autodesk will breath life into MM.  Perhaps we could circulate a petition to Autodesk signed by the plethora of users like myself, who rely on this zombie software for their 3D modeling needs? 

Message 29 of 34
tpfaff100

Could we get source code for MeshMixer and do some test recompiles, fix and re-ship it?
Maybe under NDA?

It's small and compact, does a lot, performs well-- and I like it.  Am an engineering type so use OpenSCAD for nearly everything... but there are a few operations that MeshMixer does way better.  It's worth fixing and has been good PR for Autodesk (ie imho improved their public image).

Any chance of me/us/whomever fixing it for a rerelease?

Message 30 of 34
dawserge

Many thanks for the opportunity to use the archived version 3.5! Everything started up and worked on Mac mini (Late 2014) macOS Monterey 12.7.4!

Message 31 of 34
the_makertrove
in reply to: dawserge

Where did you find the archived version? I would like to try it as well.
Message 32 of 34
dawserge

I found the archived version on the first page of this chat) My gratitude kevinT5K8W  https://web.archive.org/web/20200220222607/http://www.meshmixer.com/download.html

Message 33 of 34
SurryMarkus

I'm a teacher at an elementary school. We don't need MeshMixer very often, so I'm just learning of this whole debacle. However we do need it to resize STL files for import into Tinkercad. We use Tinkercad extensively with all students in grades 3-8. From time to time, we import STL and OBJ files as part of an assignment on how to combine existing files to make something new. If the file is more than 25m, it ends in an error. We can not use Fusion 360 with students because they are all on Chromebooks.

To Autodesk, I would say please make MeshMixer available again or increase the import limit on Tinkercad.

Thank you,

-- Markus

Message 34 of 34
fred_dot_u
in reply to: SurryMarkus

I have a file on my computer (windows) in my download folder which indicates it is Meshmixer 3.5 for the mac. It's a .PKG file, which my research shows contains the necessary files to install. The research indicates that one double-clicks on the file in order to begin the process. I don't have an easy way to test it, but if you'd like a link, I'll send it to my Dropbox and give you access.

Also note that the message posted prior to yours has a working link to a PKG download.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report