Community
Meshmixer
Welcome to Autodesk’s Meshmixer Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Meshmixer topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change part sizes

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
900 Views, 10 Replies

How to change part sizes

I have read many posts here but can't seem to find the answer. I am a total newbie with Meshmixer a few days now.

I would like to alter a part in Meshmixer if possible see photo. I have already filled in the slots in the part. Any help is appreciated! I have attached the STL files if anybody wants to do this for me?

Thanks

3d part.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MagWeb
in reply to: Anonymous

There are several ways and tools to do such modifications. Here's how I would do it...

To change the diameter of the cylinder:

In SELECT select the upper region of the cylinder:

Ohne Titel 5.png

Run SELECT/Edit/PlaneCut. Make sure to set CutType = Slice(KeepBoth)

Ohne Titel 6.png

Leave SELECT and run EDIT/SeparateShells

On the upper part run EDIT/Transform to modify the diameter. Disable UniformScaling in the tool properties (as you want to keep the height the same). Set the desired diameter to the number boxes SizeX and SizeZ.

Ohne Titel 7.png

Now go to SELECT. The previous PlaneCut action created a face group at the lower end. Select it by double click and run SELECT/Edit/Transform to extrude that plane to intersect the other part.

Ohne Titel 8.png

Now you might want to flatten the lower part. SELECT the uneven region plus the stump of the former cylinder

Ohne Titel 9.png

Run SELECT/Edit/EraseAndFill with a flat FillMode

Ohne Titel 10.png

Now activate both objects and run EDIT/BooleanUnion

Ohne Titel 11.png

To thicken the other region:

Run EDIT/GenerateFaceGroups. Defaults generate two groups at the inside of the top ( horizontal and bevel). Later on we will move these groups to make the top thicker.

To make this work we need to refine the mesh at all regions being in contact to the two groups. So SELECT all regions being in contact to. Run SELECT/Edit/Remesh at RemeshMode = LinearSubdivision and max DensityOhne Titel.png

Now select the two interior groups

Ohne Titel 2.png

and run SELECT/Deform/SoftTransform. Enabling snapping (the S circle should be green) and using up/down keys to modify the snapping increment to 1 helps to move it precisely.Ohne Titel 3.png

(Sorry the last image shows face Transform instead of SoftTransfom which shoul be used here)

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: MagWeb

I really appreciate the help here but as I said I am a total newbie so--

You say "Leave SELECT and run EDIT/SeparateShells" how do I do that? Do I press the "Accept" button, if I do it goes back to where I started. If I just push the "Edit" button it does the same thing? Confused

Gene

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

OK, I used the "Accept" button and that seemed to work but now I am not getting the separate orange part in your photo. The top part is light gray and the whole rest of the object is dark grey and double clicking on the dark grey does nothing--

Now go to SELECT. The previous PlaneCut action created a face group at the lower end. Select it by double click and run SELECT/Edit/Transform to extrude that plane to intersect the other part.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Better yet since you know what I want can I make a donation to you to do them both for me as I am so confused with all of this?

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
MagWeb

No donation necessary. Here it is:

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You are way too kind! I am printing one as we speak

Gene

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Gunter,

One more favor to ask, one little thing I overlooked the small tab/cylinder needs to be 1mm taller at the base if that is possible? On each part.

Don't know why the pic won't load it is small? Hope you know what I mean

Message 9 of 11
MagWeb

Like this?

Gunter Weber
Triangle Artisan

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Looks right, will print it out and let you know. MANY Thanks again!!!

Gene

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Gunter,

Worked perfect, once again THANK YOU!

Gene

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report