Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of my textures look distorted inside of Maya, they look fine in Substance

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
owan213
574 Views, 7 Replies

Some of my textures look distorted inside of Maya, they look fine in Substance

I textured a character in Substance and exported the maps to render them with V-ray inside of Maya, but some textures look distorted while other look fine. I'm using UDIMS if that helps. Here are some captures of some assets, how are they shown in Substance and in Maya.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: owan213

Are you loading in the UDIMs in the file read node?

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 8
owan213

Hi Christop thanks for your answer, what do you mean with the file read node? I'm just using the Substance plugin to create the V-ray materials and then I add them to the meshes. I don't understand why some textures look bad and others don't.

Message 4 of 8
Christoph_Schaedl

If there are UDIMS you have to use the UDIM tile reader.

Click onto the file node and set the tiles to UDIM.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 5 of 8
damaggio

Make sure you don't have other UV sets, that looks suspicious to me. 

Message 6 of 8
owan213
in reply to: damaggio

I reexported the low and high meshes of the hat only and textured it (using the same UVs), and the textures still look distorted. @Christoph_Schaedl If I put the UV tiling mode in UDIM (Mari), the problem persists for the hat and the weapon.  I don't understand why in Substance everything looks good and also, I don't understand why almost all the meshes look fine inside of Maya except for the weapon and the hat. Although I used UDIMS, I did not bake the entire model at once, for some parts I had to make individual bakes using the same original UVs intended to texture more meshes together. Could that be a problem? 

Message 7 of 8
damaggio

Did you check  the Hat , UVeditor>Uvsets>Map1?

Sometimes students create new UV sets by mistake.

It would be easier to ZIP just the problematic objects with the diffuse map and upload here.

Message 8 of 8
owan213
in reply to: damaggio

Yes, the map was 1, I didn't mess with that.

I accidentally found the solution. I was going to export the files to upload them to the forum and I had the idea of exporting the mesh directly from Substance, so I did that and then imported it into Maya, applied the textures and everything worked. So, I did the same with the low poly .OBJ from maya, exported it, then reimported it and everything worked fine.

So basically, exporting and reimporting the OBJ solved the problem. Thank you @damaggio and @Christoph_Schaedl you both are great artists and have a tremendous portfolio. This community is awesome!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report