Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering a Reflection pass with alpha of the reflection.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
antokoman
3876 Views, 6 Replies

Rendering a Reflection pass with alpha of the reflection.

I am wondering if it´s possible to render a reflection pass which outputs the color of a reflection and the alpha of the reflected objects only. I mean, for example let;s say I have a red sphere I want to reflect on a plane. I want the red sphere reflection on the beauty but the shape of the phere reflection on the alpha. Is this doable in one pass via AOV;s. So far I;ve been rendering a reflection layer and then overriding the shader of the reflected objects for a white surface shader in order to get a black and white image of my reflection that I will use as an alpha, but it would be cool if I could do this only in one pass. 

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sean.heasley
in reply to: antokoman

Hi @antokoman

I believe the way you're doing it right now is the best workflow.

It's possible this could be set up to only need one pass but the amount of overrides and different shader set ups you would need would make it a bigger hassle than doing it with multiple passes.

Plus by doing multiple passes you have more control over the overrides and outputs Smiley Happy

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 7
antokoman
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi Sean, 

Thanks so much for your reply, I was doubting if this way was the most efficient. Still, I would be interested in knowing how to do it in one pass if that was remotely possible. 

Cheers,

Antoko

Message 4 of 7
sean.heasley

Hi @antokoman

I just reread your post and I actually might have misunderstood initially. Do you want the reflection on the alpha channel or the render or do you just want the alpha of the object to be rendered?

Message 5 of 7
antokoman

It´s difficult to explain. What I would like is, let´s say I want RED Sphere A to be reflected on Plane B. So what I want is the Reflection of a sphere on a plane, and the shape of the reflection of that sphere on the alpha. Is that doable? In this case I would see a Red Sphere reflecion on the RGB channel and a white Sphere on the Alpha Channel. 

Thanks Sean!!!

Message 6 of 7
sean.heasley

Hi @antokoman

Ah ok in this case I don't believe its possible via one render pass. Your best bet would be to use two passes like we mentioned above.

Hope this helps!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 7 of 7
mpowers

can someone post a screenshot or material that demonstrates this? Ideally the indirect_specular would have a way to add an alpha of the reflected objects. This an extremely common workflow, especially for compositing print stills.

Mike Powers
Director of Animation \ Cramer

mpowers@cramer.com
https://vimeo.com/mpowers
3DBOXX W8920Processor 32.0 GB RAM
Dual Xeon CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Windows 10 Enterprise - 1809
NVIADIA Dual RTX2080TI 11GB V 419.35

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report