Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Xgen Clumping xuv file error

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
7349 Views, 9 Replies

Maya Xgen Clumping xuv file error

Hi I was rendering some hair through Xgen and Arnold and everything was working fine until I think it was after I resized the plane that the roots were attached to, which seemed to have caused this error: 

// Error: XGen:  Clumping guide ID larger than number in xuv file (pPlane2): 172(guide ID) 0(xuv file size) [PH_Head_Hair,PH_Mid_Hairs_002,Clumping2] 

I searched online for a solution, but the only solution Autodesk describe for this problem is to regenerate the clumping data. So I deleted the modifiers and created them again but the problem still persists and it seems that the problem has also spread to my descriptions of hair as the error claims that other descriptions now have the same problem and so none of the clumping works now. Can someone please specify what it means by regenerating the clump data if I am not doing so correctly? Also what else can I try? 

Thank you, 

Peter

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Michael_Todd
in reply to: Anonymous

Resizing the geo shouldnt be a problem, but changing the topology would cuase issues.

Try freezing the transforms and regenerating the points for the clumps as well as the maps as it seems that the points are not being generated in the right space (they may be being generated in the unscaled location as XGen uses a pref attribute and you have to delete this attribute from the geo, save then reload, for XGen to regenerate it. Freezing transforms can also force an update.

Cheers

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Michael_Todd

Thank you for you reply! The problem seemed to have spread to all of my textures as none of the clumping was appearing, but I knew that it wasn't until I made the most recent one (the longer hairs) that the problem arrived. So i did as you specified, froze transformations of the plane, deleted history, deleted the problematic clump modifier and it's directories, then remade. After another test render the problem said that another texture was affected but after shutting down Maya and reloading entire scene, it seems to be working again... (for now..) 

So thanks again for your help! I was panicking at the lack of info on this problem! I will update this post if the problem persists again. 

Thank you, 

Peter

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Michael_Todd

I've followed all your solution guides and my File still prints the error. I've been working in this file for days with no problems until now.

Message 5 of 10
salvatore_tona95

I have the same problem.. I tried everything, also start a new project, Chech the uvs, set the project ecc but every time I add a clump modifier and I try to render with Arnold I obtain this error.. someone can help me? I'm getting crazy 

Message 6 of 10

This is happening to me too, I’ve tried everything. Did you ever find a solution?

Message 7 of 10

I didn't find a solution..

Message 8 of 10
karl8
in reply to: salvatore_tona95

Try downgrading to Maya 2023, for some reason this worked for me. The issue occurred on multiple fresh meshes in the latest version of Maya with no history or transformation. Opened the same Maya 2024 file with Maya 2023 Xgen setup done, and clumps with this error, and it worked fine.

Message 9 of 10
mlevelup92

The problem also occurs in the 2025 version.

Message 10 of 10
Christoph_Schaedl

Should be fixed in 2025.1

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report