Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 Arnold

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
5962 Views, 12 Replies

Maya 2017 Arnold

Hello boys & girls,

I have a problem that I cannot figure out with Arnold/Maya 2017.

first of all I´m a rookie when it comes to rendering and specially Arnold and linear workflow.

My problem is that in my render view my render (beauty) looks ok and when I trying so save out the image on disk, the render have not the same colours/light? the jpeg file is a little bit brighter and the exr. file is totally washed out?(very bright) I guess it has to do something with the gamma and the linear workflow? I know that in version 2017, maya automatically converts all the textures and shading files to it´s own format tx, but it´s so strange that my saved image isn´t the same like in my render view? I´m only using a sky dome with a HDR image for my lighting at the moment and it is set to sRGB and in the setting preferences my color management is set to default and enabled.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out with this cheers!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

You can save images with 2 different settings, original (Raw Image) vs color-corrected (Color Managed).

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi,

yeah I know, I still don´t get the same result with what I have in my render view though. they either gets washed out or to dark, I also tried to render via the render sequence and no luck there either. Thanks for your reply!

Message 4 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

Could you please upload a scene-file?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

Sure, I also figured out that sometimes I get an error telling me the sync
color package is missing in the script editor (but only sometimes) and I
don´t know what that is all about?. It also doesn't matter if I use a
HDR light source, I get the same problem even with just a white color with
the sky dome light. my output render (saved render image) just doesn't get
the same colours as in render view and I tried both raw and color managed
options.

Best regards
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

file

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

screenshot

Message 8 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

Everything is fine here.

Some software-packages are using hardware acceleration for display purposes and this can result in color-shifts.

To make sure your rendered images are the same like in preview check the rendered images also in preview.

After saving images reload them to:

A) Arnold Render View: File -> Load Snapshot image

B) Render View: File Open image

and compare them there.

If you use color management for preview it's easier to save out raw-images because loaded images also get the color transformation applied, otherwise you have to switch off color management in the preview every time you view a loaded image.

You also can compare images loaded (not rendered) to the render view with the preview in other applications to make sure if there are any color-shifts.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Hi thank you for your reply.

ok I did as you said, I saved the render as raw from mayas save option and opened it in mayas render view (with color management enabled) to compare it and you absolutely right they are actually the same.

My concern is the huge color shift my final image gets in other software packages such as in my case photoshop or even mac preview.

I´m just getting more confused here, whats the purpose with the render view in maya and color management if you don´t get the saved image result like in mayas render view?

Am I suppose to work in maya with color management enabled, get the render, save the render as color corrected and then tweak it in photoshop?

I mean I always tweak my image in photoshop with all the other render layers anyway but in this case when I just have a color pass I thought you always get the same result like in maya render view.

I did not have this problem with mental ray before I started to use Arnold (always got the same result) and I thought it must be something wrong with the gamma this time.

Best regards

Message 10 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

1. Please open some image saved from Photoshop with Maya (turn color management off in Render View) and compare them.

Do they look the same?

2. Can you please upload an original rendered/saved image file (one with color management applied) that does look different in Photoshop, best would be the one from your screenshot.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

ok I took a an image of a cg rabbit (jpg) found on the internet opened and saved it in photoshop. opened the same image in mayas render view with color management off and they are not the same as you can see in the screenshot I took. It seems maya increasing saturation or RGB value.

Is this possible to correct in maya?

I also provided you with my image I´m currently working on and it is saved as color corrected, the samples are low though but I don´t think thats important in this case, I just wanted to reduce render time.

Best regards

Message 12 of 13
mspeer

Hi!

I don't think it's a problem with Maya. Comparing your screenshot with your rendered image and assigning (not converting) different color profiles it seems to be a problem working with 2 different color profiles, sRGB and Adobe RGB. Make sure to have a proper Color Workflow. The easiest way is to keep all images, all applications, and you monitor at the same color profile (for example sRGB). If you don't have a proper Color Workflow mixing color profiles will end up in a lot of problems. Although i could assist you with this it is a time-consuming task to set up a complete System for a correct Color Management Workflow. If the problem with Adobe RGB and sRGB is not a hint for you what you have to change you should contact someone that could check all your settings with you on site.

It's unlikely that Maya uses an Adobe RGB Profile anywhere as it is not installed by default, it's more likely that Photoshop converts and assigns between Adobe RGB and sRGB Pofiles.

BTW: Your screenshot had an Adobe RGB Profile embedded, this will be displayed wrong in most consumer applications like browsers, use an sRGB Profile instead.

Different color profiles assigned to you screenshot (below) and your final image (top), with signs (black square, grey hexagon, white triangle) to mark images with the same color appearance.

color_profiles.jpg

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

oh yes, you are the boss, I switched over to sRGB on my monitor display (it was set to adobes color profile) and it works now. I can´t thank you enough and thank you for your quick replies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report