Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to made 3D look 2D and painterly with visible brush strokes?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1972 Views, 4 Replies

How to made 3D look 2D and painterly with visible brush strokes?

I found this article linked below where they achieved some stunning results within Maya making the 3D geometry look 2D and painterly (pics attached). I really want to recreate this same look although I'm not sure how to go about doing it in Maya 2020 and would love some help.

I have linked a video and the article below. 

Video

Article

ship.pngtrain.png

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
daunish
in reply to: Anonymous

So if you're looking to achieve the same result I think the video you linked is a perfect walkthrough of how they did it. It doesn't look like they are using any proprietary nodes or plugins. While I haven't tried it, the steps look very straight forward.

It's just a matter of duplicating and adding noise to your base shape, then getting your materials looking right. For the initial displacement just use a texture deformer with a noise. As for the materials, you're going to have to play with them but it looks pretty simple.

Sorry for not really giving you the exact solution, but that video is for sure what you need. And a little time for some look dev. You're going to want to play with it yourself anyway to get it looking how you want.

Let me know if there are any technical aspects to this that are confusing you. Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: daunish

Hi thanks for your help! I don't suppose you could write the steps out in numbers? I'm just a bit confused by the video because it uses lightwave terminology and I don't really know how to apply that to Maya. I've got up to 40 seconds in the video but I'm lost where it describes diffuse sharpness and onwards, I've attached a picture of where I am up to so far.1.jpgve attached a picture to where I am at

Message 4 of 5
daunish
in reply to: Anonymous

A step by step breakdown is a lot, especially since a lot of this would be RND. What I mean by this is you're going to have to do your best to figure out what looks good and what you like for the effect.

At the very least this will give you a basic overview and hopefully help you avoid a couple of pitfalls I already see you making.

1. Take your initial object and dup it once or twice.

2. On the dupped objects apply a texture deformer. But make sure to set the direction to "normal", the default is handled and it leads to the issue you currently have with your model (all deformation just point in a single direction dictated by the handle).

3. Add your noise textures. you gotta play with this and find what you think looks good, I'd recommend either a 3d noise or 3d fractal. Offset each noise from one another if you use multiple objects.

4. Assign a new blinn or phong to the duplicated objects. Play with the transparency and reflectivity settings till you got what you are looking for.

5. If you don't have enough polygons at this point you can add a smooth before or after the texture deformer.

Attached is an image that I made quickly running through this procedure. Again, this is one of the foundations of 3d art, taking something you see and reproducing it. There's nothing technical here, it's all just how you want it to look and what you do with the tools available to you.

It also looks like you rendered your effect, I personally think you should avoid it and just do a viewport render. The final result's quality does not warrant render time. The links you sent all look like viewport renders (though maybe it would look amazing after rendering).

I hope this helps, even though I didn't go into the material setup (again, just play around with stuff, accept it will take time and be difficult). If you have any other questions let me know

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: daunish

Thanks so much for the help! I think I should manage and cook something up that suits, I'll give it a whirl and see how it plays out! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report