Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to color Xgen hair in Arnold?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
V4nDl0
11532 Views, 10 Replies

Does anyone know how to color Xgen hair in Arnold?

I would like to paint some maps to color an XGen groomable splines description and render it in Arnold with the aiStandard hair shader. i.e. paint some leopard spots or zebra stripes on a map in photoshop and have the hairs take on the different colors. 

I have followed lots of very complicated tutorials - the Arvid Schnieder video on youtube and the Arnold help guide page - and cannot get anything to work. 

Has anyone had any success and could you explain, in really simple steps, how to do this?

Thanks so much

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Lindsey_Robbins
in reply to: V4nDl0

If you are trying to have the hair reference the UVs of the underlying model, and therefore display spots or a pattern across many hairs (vs just along the shaft of one hair) you have to tell the AI hair to use the U and V params, like the picture below:

Atrtibutes

Message 3 of 11
V4nDl0
in reply to: Lindsey_Robbins

Thanks for responding, but I'm not using aiHair, I'm using aiStandardHair, which doesn't seem to have that UV tab in the attribute editor?

(I can't find aiHair in the Arnold shaders, I think it might have been dropped in Maya 2018)

Has anybody been able to achieve this and would be kind enough to guide me step-by-step through the process to color aiStandardHair with a painted color map, so that I could make animal fur and patterns etc.?

thanks

Message 4 of 11
Lindsey_Robbins

Well, that's what I do for a living. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXF_7Zgg65M

That covers how to do tiger fur with aiStandardHair, so it should be just what you need.

Message 5 of 11
V4nDl0

Thanks for responding, but as I mentioned in the original post, I've tried following that Arvid Schneider tutorial and I can't get it to work. His tutorial is incredibly complicated and his setup is very confusing.

I just want to plug an image map into a plane covered in and XGen groomable splines with aiStandardHair and have the color of the map drive the color of the fur. 

Could anybody be kind enough to take the time and help talk me through the steps necessary to achieve this?

Like step-by-step... As in...

1) Goto the Preview/Output Settings of the XGen description and set the renderer to Arnold

2) Under "Custom Shader Parameters" choose "color" from the drop down menu, type 'tipcolor' in the name slot and press + to add the parameter

3)

etc. etc........

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
Lindsey_Robbins

Ah, you are using Xgen core, not Xgen IGS, sorry, I didn't realize that. 

I have notes on how to do that, but I don't have time at the moment to format a good step by step tutorial for you. I hope someone else jumps in with one. 🙂

I've attached a PDF of my notes from my Xgen core class. They aren't exactly what you want, but maybe they'll help you some. 

Message 7 of 11
V4nDl0

Thanks for sharing that .pdf, Lindsey, appreciate it.

I did manage to get it working in the end

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hello V4nDl0 ,

Even I was wondering how to color or texture in the new Arnold version for Maya 2018.I have been checking a lot tutorials and blogs and all seems to be very complicated a bit and mostly no results .You were telling you solved it also.If you don't mind I will share you something really easy which I found in the end,off course I am not a pro in Arnold  or Xgen but I got somewhat satisfactory results after trying all the complicated methods involving Primitive color and Custom Shader Parameters which seems to loose the real specular/shininess of the hair.So here is what I found:

(1) For coloring hair  - Just change the Base Color (in Ai Standard Hair) to your required color and  lower/adjust the Melanin value (so you won't lose the hair to a flat color) .Similarly you can link a ramp texture to Base color to get different colors in hair vertically.

(2) For Texturing hair - Just link the texture to Diffuse Color in the Diffuse Section and increase the Diffuse value to blend the texture to the hair without losing the hair shininess.

I found this to be the easiest way for me after a lot of trial and error which took most of my time.Thanks a lot!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

OMG Thank you!

Message 10 of 11
nbegench
in reply to: Anonymous

I link my txture to defuse in aistandarthair , but it applies to each hair instead. Looks like hair has uv .. iam fairly new so please help me 

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I was having the same issue here and like @nbegench , even when following all the advice above I could not get the texture to apply across the surface, rather it applied to each individual hair strand.  I finally found the solution on a Youtube comment from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfCGG2DtFHM&t=775s

Basically the texture will apply as intended on INTERACTIVE GROOM SPLINES (created through the XGEN Interactive Groom Editor, as in the linked video) but it will apply on each individual hair if you use GROOMABLE SPLINES (created through the more commonly used XGEN editor, as in this video https://youtu.be/3UPZcnuUVS0).  I don't know what the underlying reasons are for this discrepancy but in any case, it worked for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report