Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displacement/Mesh History Issues

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
TheBlack95
1066 Views, 7 Replies

Displacement/Mesh History Issues

Hi

So I'm texturing some brick walls using PBR materials from Quixel Mixer. When using this shader on a new plane(or any new mesh with history), it appears fine. However, when I apply the same shader network to a wall that I've modified (seen on the screenshot, left side) it just appears flat.

I learned online and while at university to clear the mesh history once finished modifying to help keep the scene tidy?

Am I doing something wrong? Or should IRenderView.jpg

just keep the mesh history to allow the PBR to show the displacement maps?

Thanks,

Josh

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mspeer
in reply to: TheBlack95

Hi!

Very likely the objects have different scale values, this also affects the scale of the displacement.

Just correct this.

For further help, please provide a scene-file.

Message 3 of 8
TheBlack95
in reply to: mspeer

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I just can't see it being a scale issue as the file nodes are all connected to one singular 'place2dTexture' node.

Here is the file with just the 2 walls in question. I've removed everything else to compress the size (hasn't changed the outcome of this problem. The textures are from Quixel Bridge, the one I used was called 'Rough Brick Wall'. I can only provide them from another link as the forums only lets me upload 3 files at a time.

Josh

Message 4 of 8
TheBlack95

Here are the textures I used from Quixel

https://quixel.com/megascans/home?search=brick&assetId=vh2pddg

Message 5 of 8
nobody_b

freeze the transformation of your plane

Message 6 of 8
TheBlack95
in reply to: nobody_b

As soon as I click Freeze Transformations, it flattens the wall making the normal maps and displacement maps useless
Message 7 of 8
TheBlack95
in reply to: nobody_b

freezing does work, but I have to increase the displacement height from 2.00 up to 20 and above
Message 8 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

As assumed it is a scaling issue.

scale_high.gif

When your displace a surface by 0.1 and scale the object up by 1000, then you get a displacement of 100.

If you create a new large surface and apply the same shader (or use freeze transformation ) then you still get only a displacement of 0.1.

As your objects are very large also using a very large large displacement value is normal, so use whatever value you need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report