Community
Maya Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya SDK topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numpy 1.13.1 + Scipy 0.19.1 for Maya 2018

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
skuzee
7379 Views, 14 Replies

Numpy 1.13.1 + Scipy 0.19.1 for Maya 2018

I needed to compile the latest Numpy and Scipy packages for Maya 2018. and i'm making them available to the community.

The packages were compiled with Visual Studio 2015 with Intel's MKL libraries. I make no claim of backwards compatibility, but both packages seem to import fine in previous versions of 64 bit Maya all the way to 2014.

Feel free to grab the wheels here

Enjoy!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: skuzee

Hi. It would be awesome if You could make a tutorial on building Python packages from source on Windows. This was always very easy to do on Linux, but soon I'll probably try to build all packages I use on Linux in Maya (Numpy, Scipy, Cython, Matplotlib, Numba, Numbapro, PyOpenCL, PyCUDA, PyOpenGL...) on Windows, but I'm sure there will be a lot of issues. Tutorial or at least some hints about potential problems could be very helpful. Before I even started I realized that Python and it's packages have to be built with the same version of Visual Studio used for building Autodesk Maya.  Numpy should be a good introduction. It is written in C, Python and Fortran. After that dealing with LLVM and NVCC on Windows will be a lot easier. Btw, I'm sure a lot of people want to install some Python packages and use it in Maya, so this info could be quite helpful.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

I found your post all the way back from 2015 and was wondering if it was still relevant for latest versions of Maya, thanks a lot for doing this. But I'm getting a "numpy-1.13.1+mkl-cp27-none-win_amd64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform". From what I read, you get this error if you have a different version of Python, but yours clearly states 2.7 which I have as well. I guess installing a distribution like numpy.org suggested in the first place was the better path to take.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

nevermind what I said, I missed the part about where you could just unzip whl files with winrar

Message 5 of 15
DaveWortley
in reply to: Anonymous

You can use pip to install wheel files properly.

Thanks for these compiles, they work with 3ds Max too, it's a shame Autodesk don't have a centralised repo where builds can be stored and shared. There's a lot of people re-doing the same work over and over again, and it's not easy stuff to do!

Message 6 of 15
mbreidt
in reply to: DaveWortley

@DaveWortley wrote:

You can use pip to install wheel files properly.

Thanks for these compiles, they work with 3ds Max too, it's a shame Autodesk don't have a centralised repo where builds can be stored and shared. There's a lot of people re-doing the same work over and over again, and it's not easy stuff to do!

MUCH agreement over here!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

too?this was a savior. Been trying to install numpy and scipy on Maya 2019 and 2018 since forever. This worked like magic! I installed this on Maya 2018 finally. Does this work with 2019 too?

Message 8 of 15
silenthell

The wheels seem to have disappeared from the google drive 😭

It'd be nice if you had time to reupload them 😃

Message 9 of 15
skuzee
in reply to: silenthell

I re-uploaded the packages. Sorry 🙂

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Hi! Could you tell me how to build numpy and scipy?

Message 11 of 15
golaem

Hey there,

It looks like you uploaded other packages than the whl (those are zips) and are slighly different than the previous ones

I still have yours available (thanks for that btw), let me know if you'd like me to send these back to you so you can reupload them 🙂

Message 12 of 15
ericvignola
in reply to: golaem

Thanks for pointing this out! I re-uploaded the wheels.

Hope the packages were of good use to you and everyone in the community.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you very much! Numpy and Scipy seems work like a charm on motionbuilder 2014 and later also !

Message 14 of 15
luissj

I have requested the permission to the files, looking forward to use them

Message 15 of 15
ricky.v

You can install packages to either the Maya site-packages directory or to your user space. You will need Administrator privileges on Windows, or super user privileges on macOS and Linux, to install packages in the Maya site-packages directory. I installed a few Maya 2022 packages recently for my chatbot development services project. 

The standard Python package management system, pip, can be used within Maya's Python interpreter to install, search for, and query Python packages.

pip is called from the command line using mayapy, the Maya Python interpreter. It cannot be called from within the Maya Python script editor.

mayapy is located in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya<VersionNumber>\bin on Windows, in /Applications/Autodesk/maya<VersionNumber>/Maya.app/Contents/bin on macOS, and /usr/autodesk/Maya<VersionNumber>/bin/ on Linux.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report