Community
Maya Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya SDK topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ma file contains data, but nothing shows up when opened in Maya

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
3869 Views, 19 Replies

.ma file contains data, but nothing shows up when opened in Maya

A student emailed me the attached file. I'm unable to figure out what is going on here, and we would love some help. I'd hate to see a full weeks worth of time and effort be lost.

The anomaly is this, when opening up the attached file in Maya 2018 nothing shows up, it behaves as though there is no data in the file. Open the file in Wordpad, and the data is there. This anomaly started happening at 10am 2/17/19. And now when opening files created before 2/17/19 we are experiencing the same thing, the files behave as though there is no data in the file when opened in Maya. This is occurring on multiple computers, Windows OS, with and without the Maya project folder. 

Attached is the file in question "McDonnell_Modular_Modeling_Wk6_D4.ma"

And what the ascii code looks like as of now in Wordpad. "DataIsThere.jpg"

Lastly, I've attached a screenshot of what the file looked like prior to 2/10/19 "WhatTheFileOnceContained.png"

Thanx for the help. 

-Ian Southwell 

PS: I opened it up in ZBrush, and only one of the meshes showed up. The weirdness continues....

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The, ma file won't attach. Even tried zipping it. Any ideas?

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Trying Again, but as a .txt file. So you if you are helping change the extention to .ma. Open to other suggestions to get the file to any one willing to help. 

Message 4 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

Recovered file attached.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Hi! 

I am attending a job interview online, hiring people have given me deadline today(14-09-20) to submit file, now I am facing a issue with the file which I have to submit. 

Issue is .ma file include data but when opened in maya it shows empty , outliner, polycount etc everything is empty. 

I am attaching the file, please anyone help me out to recover the datahttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1-osjrhMdEQkt_hxWZyuz0-DBVB8luAVp/view?usp=drivesdk 

Message 6 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

@Anonymous 

Recovered scene attached.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Thank you so much mspeer for very fast reply.

Can you also mention the process here to recover the file so i can use same process, if i face it again. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Hi @mspeer 

I have successfully submitted my file to recruiters with your help , thank you so much for quick response.

But I have faced an another issue with same file , after submitting the file to recruiters i just opened the file in maya in my system, I was able to see only few polygons in green color ( default shader missing) and other polygons are missing. 

I am attaching the file along with screenshot, Please help me to solve this issue so i can revert back to recruiters with proper file. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUE7kvN-uVLe1JBpchypw3DR6tBxxuRO/view?usp=sharing 

Screenshot (20).png 

Message 9 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

@Anonymous 

New recovered scene attached.

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Hi @mspeer 

I am facing this issue again with another file, few objects are missing and default shader is missing in .ma file. 
Please recover the file which i am attaching to this post and I am also attaching screenshot of the present file. 

If possible please say me the process to recover files, if i face the same issue again in future. 

Quick response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.  

Message 11 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

Recovered scene attached.

In some cases this solution works, in other cases it can be more complex.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-forum/maya-scene-empty/td-p/7771390

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

@mspeer 

Thank you so much for sharing the thread link for future use. 
I followed and replaced '-nan(ind)' with '0.0', it worked!

I have read few of your contributions and response to forums threads, 
You are really doing a awesome job.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

@mspeer 

Hi, Hope you are doing well.

Has you mentioned there might be more complex issues, now i am facing same missing of shaders and objects in one of my file ( which is confidential can't be shared ), there are no "nan" or "nan(ind)" values in my file and file format is ".mb". 
For more info: 

- I can see few mesh names in outliner
- No connections in node editor 

- File size is 2.2 Mb not zero

Please can you help me out to recover my file?

Hope to hear a good sign from you. Thank you in advance.

Message 14 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

You can upload the file anywhere and provide a download link for me in a private message, but without any file I can't help your further, sorry.

You can also contact Autodesk support instead of using the open forum here.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

@mspeer 

Thank you for replying my post but I cant even share this file privately with you, it is the hands of my organization. 

Anyway thank you so much. 

Message 16 of 20
stuzzz

@mspeer does an amazing job. He should be paid by Autodesk for his time.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

I have the same problem. After opening the .ma file, it shows unrecognized file types.
please anyone help me out to recover the data. thank you very much!

Message 18 of 20
mspeer

Hi!

Sorry, but this file is completely empty, just check the file size.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Hi !

Later, I found that the entire file was broken, and finally used the previous file.

Thank you very much for your reply!

Message 20 of 20
cromero16ZZSE

Hey mspeer,

I have the same issue, i know this post is very late but i would really appreciate your support on this, its for a project on my University and i have to upload this on exactly 5 hours, i would really appreciate if you could help me as soon as possible. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a3oZ3WCVmcWoNV3UoHK-L_dPMdqLMT8w/view?usp=sharing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report