Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project curves onto surface or mesh to create faces

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1443 Views, 4 Replies

Project curves onto surface or mesh to create faces

Hello! 

I'm making a series of game boards to model in maya and then transfer to substance painter. Example is chess board. I want to apply different types of woods to different faces. I also need to apply more complex geometry to create a board like Monopoly board. 

I created all the geometry for the game boards in Adobe Illustrator and saved as an Illustrator 8 file. Imported and I can project the curves onto a nurb surface, mesh, and poly surface but I can't get it to cut the faces. Any help is much appreciated 🙂 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Christoph_Schaedl
in reply to: Anonymous

Dont add more geo. Just create a decent texture.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Christoph_Schaedl

I can map the texture on to the plane with photoshop but I'd rather be able to match the material (olive wood and a dark oak) that is on the rest of the desk via substance painter. There's more depth and I need it for my rendering. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Here's an example: 

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

For anybody else searching for this answer! I modeled up the game in illustrator. The geometry can't just be lines (paths), they must be closed geometry. In illustrator,  file > save as > eps > adobe illustrator version 8 (to import it into Maya. In Maya select file > import > and make sure it's an eps file. Once it's imported, select a closed geometry section and in surfaces > planer > planer options. Select polygons in output geometry.

With the same geometry selected goto Modify > convert > nurbs to polygon. At this point, you can delete history, hide or delete the original curves and apply materials to the polygon object. And all done! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report