Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help figuring out what's wrong in my scene (can't export objects)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
user20202022
395 Views, 5 Replies

Need help figuring out what's wrong in my scene (can't export objects)

I need some help figuring out what's going on in my scene. Unfortunately I can't share my scene since it's for a project at work, but I would greatly appreciate any troubleshooting tips any of you might have that I haven't tried yet.

I have a basic character with some shaders applied to it. It's not an especially heavy model, but I noticed that when I try to export any of my objects, Maya would just hang forever on export. So, I tried the following just as a troubleshooting step:

1. Unparented everything in the outliner, deleted history and froze all transforms.
  2. Assigned a basic lambert to everything and deleted all unused nodes in the hypershade (just wanted to rule out any potential issues being caused by materials)
  3. Ran an optimize scene (with all the options turned on).
  4. Selected one of the lighter objects and exported as a single .OBJ
  5. The object was just a pair of glasses (384 faces). I hit export and it was just stuck on the spinning wheel for about 15 minutes before I finally just force quit Maya using ctrl+alt+delete. 
  6. I created a default polysphere from within the same Maya scene and tried to export that, but I encountered the same problem. 
  7. Opened a fresh session of Maya and exported a poly sphere. No problem. 

It seems like something's wrong with my scene and not the actual meshes, but I feel like I've checked everything I can think of. I don't know how else to troubleshoot this. Does anyone have any advice on steps I should take to figure it out? 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Have you tried to import the scene into a new scene?

Sometimes that does cleanup scenes.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
Message 3 of 6

you could try unloading and loading the export files you need in prefs/plugs

delete history and delete unused nodes in file optimize scene file

could be a problem with normals or materials

Message 4 of 6
user20202022
in reply to: user20202022

Thanks for the replies! 

@Christoph_Schaedl - I did, but unfortunately it didn't work. I was able to import the entire scene into a new scene, but I still couldn't export anything. I also tried just grabbing everything and exporting as a .mb, but ran into the same issue as when I previously tried to export individual OBJs... 

@Ιάσονας - Do you mean like the objExport in the plug-in manager? If so, I did try that but no luck... 

Appreciate the suggestions though you guys! 

Message 5 of 6
Kahylan
in reply to: user20202022

Hi!

Does this only happen with obj exports or also with exports to other file formats (FBX, .ma,.mb)?

What is the last line in the scripteditor history, with "Echo all commands" turned on,when you try to export your scene?

Message 6 of 6
user20202022
in reply to: Kahylan

Hi @Kahylan - It happens regardless of file format (obj, fbx, mb, etc.). I hit export and then it just sorta hangs on the spinning wheel... So no error messages or anything like that in the script editor. The last line with echo all commands turned on is just the name I set for the file (example below)

fileOperationsOptionsUICallback ExportActive FileDialogOptionsGrpBoxLayout "C:/Users/[username]/Documents/maya/projects/[project name]/scenes/skinTemp.obj";

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report