Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to match the bounding box to actual object size.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1541 Views, 7 Replies

I need to match the bounding box to actual object size.

Hi,

I've made a cube then deleted some of the faces to one side.

I now want to duplicate special along the x axis creating multiple instances of the same object.

When I do this it thinks the object is the same size as it was before I deleted the faces.

I can only imagine it's a problem with the bounding box, I need to somehow reset it to match the constraints of the actual object, can anyone help with this please?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

"it thinks the object is the same size"

- What do you mean with this, how do you come to this conclusion?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

If for example the object was 10cm in length, I deleted 2cm worth of faces from the side of the object, effectively making the object 8cm wide. When I try to duplicate the object along the X axis at a 1:1 ratio, it should be placing the objects directly next to each other but instead there is a 2cm gap.

Message 4 of 8
tdHendrix

You might need to move the pivot to the object's new center. Use the move tool and hit the Insert key on your keyboard to activate pivot mode and see what happens when you move it.

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 5 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

Sorry, Duplicate Special has no ratio setting or something like auto-distance based on object-size.

Please add a scene-file and a screenshot showing your options for Duplicate Special.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I see. I was using 1, 0, 0 on the translate section hoping it would translate 1 to 1.

What is the scale of the translation field then? Does that just relate to the blocks of the grid? If so that's my problem.

Message 7 of 8
mspeer

Hi!

Yes. it's 1 unit and independent of object size.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you kindly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report