Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edges are curving while in smooth mode

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
hyde_chchnz
329 Views, 4 Replies

Edges are curving while in smooth mode

When in smooth, you can see the rest of the mesh looks fine, but one part has the edges curving as they get to the vertices. (pics attached). Theres also a weird black shading issues slightly. 

I have tried:

looking for overlapping vertices, played with the merge threshold but nothing seem to fix it. I also tried selecting all vertices and edges and pressing delete, no changes. 

One other thing I tried was deleting the faces where its broken, then extruding the side back to replace the deleted faces, then merged the vertcies and cut the edges to match the rest of the mesh. When i extruded though the face was black so i flipped the normal of that face and then continued patching the mesh. Still no fix.

Any suggestions? Appreciate it in advanced 

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: hyde_chchnz

You need to clean your mesh, inspect again every vertex and use Heads up display.

Zip the file here  if you want.

Message 3 of 5
hyde_chchnz
in reply to: damaggio

@damaggio 

Thanks for your response. I tried again checking the vertices but can't find it. I put the zip in if you wanted to have a look. 

Message 4 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: hyde_chchnz

Hi Brady, the mesh is not clean in that area, delete the faces and rebuild.

Also don't forget to clean your file history, you are collecting a lot of junk that could lead to file corruption..

Message 5 of 5
hyde_chchnz
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks for your time and help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report