Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align verticies along common axis

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1773 Views, 2 Replies

Align verticies along common axis

I often need to align 2 or more vertices's along a common axis. If i'm merging 2 halves of a model across the world space origin I can just zero out the absolute transform. But what if they are not at the origin? How do I get a vertex X,Y Z coordinates? Then I could just assign the absolute transform value of that axis to all of the vertices.

What would be great is if I could edit the vertices transform position the same way you align UV coordinates using 'Aligh selected UV's to minimum U value' or whatever. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

"How do I get a vertex X,Y Z coordinates? "

From your screenshot, in the channel box, under your shape node you have "CVs (click to show)", just do that and you'll see you current selection of CV(s) coordinates.

Though, most of the time, this workflows works pretty well too, btw :

- click select the axis you intend to align to,

- hold 'v' for 'vertex snapping' (or activate it from the status bar icon if you prefer)

- middle click-drag over the destination vertex you want to align your current selection to.

- done, release 'v' key.

(just fyi, in case you didn't know that already).

edit: activate or deactivate "keep component spacing" as needed, generally, for such points alignement you just want it off.

Message 3 of 3
santd
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, thank you for posting to the Area forums. As suggested snapping to vertices works well. However, I also found the following MEL tool which does exactly what you would like:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/vertex-align-tools-corner-align

If the tool doesn't work you may still be able to use the MEL code to come up with shelf buttons that will do it for you.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

David Santos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report