Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align to curve a la Alias

Align to curve a la Alias

Hello everybody. 

Continue my trip on focus the attention of what Maya need. As automotive modeler and i need a tool like align to curve. This tool is in Alias.  Simple. Select a row of point(or continue edges) and it align in a theoretical curve between the selection. I usually do this by recreate a curve(cleaned and regular curve) sleect the edge continuous and add a Wire. Is a slow workflowb but do the job.

it would be great to make this as an integration oftool that we need on Automotive modeling workflow for subDivision.

Thanks

4 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maya modeling tools need much attention. In the meanwhile check out the new version of arcDeformer maybe it helps your case. I use it and it’s fantastic. Basically three tools rolled into one master tool for clean surfacing 

darioOrtisi
Collaborator

@Anonymous 

yes i know this tool. I've used also z-tools in maya that have some great scripts to automate it. 

I think that not taking into consideration the requests(autodesk and Maya manager) of users who do this job and who know what is necessary for the workflow to be as fast as possible, is now at an absurd level. The requests of those like me who do a specific work of style or design modeling and have to do with the need for curves to be fluid, know that these requests for a more focused and deisng centric workflow will only bring advantages in the modeling of all the modelers regardless of whether I model for pleasure, for game for media or for design and automotive. All these scripts out there don't solve the problem. We need a targeted toolkit, specific even at the cost of paying for it extra, but we need to take note of the fact that we need an upgrade of nurbs & subDs in Maya.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darioOrtisi 

i agree with all you said. While it’s nice to have a hodgepodge of community tools to help with the process it just makes the glaring problem stick out even more. There has lent even an attempt been made to envision proper parametric surfacing tools that can clean up and blend between sections and ensure best possible surface and curvature consistency. I have posted many requests over the years and nothing came of it. What bothers me most is the utter embarrassment that I can’t properly convert subd and do some basic intersection, blending and trimming or to put the finishing touches on models like fixing some of those pesky surface issues where the 5 star ngons couldn’t be avoided by quickly skinning over it in Nurbs. Vanilla Maya just doesn’t cut it anymore and it’s preposterous to expect to pay  an alias license for basic features that Maya technically already has but are more or less unusable because they have been completely neglected for 20 years straight 

darioOrtisi
Collaborator

@Anonymous and I agree with you.

I'm shure that if someone develops a tool that is integrated well inside maya, where the nurbs and subD modeling works. I should pay for it. 

Off course not an extra license like have Alias that is expensive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report