Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XGen interactive render farm random clumping

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
rafal
3649 Views, 23 Replies

XGen interactive render farm random clumping

Hi, I have problem with clumping on deforming mesh. Everything is ok in batch render but on render farm It looks like it generates random clumps for every machine. Maya 2018.1 and vray 3.60.02. Any ideas?

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
sean.heasley
in reply to: rafal

Hi @rafal

Thanks for attaching the scene file!

Unfortunately I don't have access to Vray so I can't see if I can reproduce your issue. That said, have you tried batch rendering with a different renderer to see if the issue still occurs?

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 24
rafal
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi, actually I've managed to replicate this behaviour with Arnold on single machine. I've attached scene file and batch file emulating frame spiting on render farm, this are commands that renderpal generates on render nodes. It should work after project path update.

Message 4 of 24
sean.heasley

Hi @rafal

This is pretty unusual. Out of curiosity I tried rendering a sequence of pngs with Arnold and was able to play back the render fine with none of the weird clumping you were seeing.

Have you checked your render farm/batch settings to make sure there isn't anything that may be causing this issue?

Message 5 of 24
rafal

It happens only if you split frames to single jobs with one frame to render on each one.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\Render.exe" -r file -s 1 -e 1 -proj "D:/ClumpTest" -rl "defaultRenderLayer" "D:/ClumpTest/scenes/ClumpTest.mb"
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\Render.exe" -r file -s 2 -e 2 -proj "D:/ClumpTest" -rl "defaultRenderLayer" "D:/ClumpTest/scenes/ClumpTest.mb"
"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\Render.exe" -r file -s 3 -e 3 -proj "D:/ClumpTest" -rl "defaultRenderLayer" "D:/ClumpTest/scenes/ClumpTest.mb"
end go on....... till end frame

if you set this cmd line to do 10 or whatever frames in one go it renders fine but its useless for render farm

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\bin\Render.exe" -r file -s 1 -e 10 -proj "D:/ClumpTest" -rl "defaultRenderLayer" "D:/ClumpTest/scenes/ClumpTest.mb"

I've checked it on different workstations without using render farm and on all of them there is same problem

Message 6 of 24
sean.heasley

Hi @rafal

Unfortunately I don't have a render farm so I can't reproduce the issue.

That said, have you tried exporting the groom as a cache?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 7 of 24
sean.heasley

Also just to add to my previous post,

@Michael_Todd did some testing and found that it renders fine with the command and if you render the sequence one frame at a time it works as well.

Therefore we believe the issue may be with your render farm or possibly one of the machines not being set up properly.

Message 8 of 24
Michael_Todd

We do have a problem replicating the circumstances of your issue, though, as we don't have a render farm to test this in exactly the same way, but even then, it might not be set up the same way as yours...

batch and sequence rendering both work as expected and an issue like this has not been reported by others so this leads me to wonder if there is a possibility that some machines on the farm are setup in a different way than others, though I'm not sure how that would happen. 

Cheers

Michael Todd

XGen Product Owner and Designer

Message 9 of 24
rafal
in reply to: Michael_Todd

That's totally puzzling. I've checked it on few others workstations in the office and it gives same problem. I didn't use render farm it was rendered locally on local drives. Maybe its about maya version 2018.1? I will check it outside the office but I have no clue what could possibly be wrong with our workstations that gives this kind of problem.

And cache indeed solves this issue, this is the way I managed render fur for the project, but its a pain to cache this amount of hairs.

But anyway, as I said I will try to check it on different location.

Thanks

Message 10 of 24
mspeer

Hi!

@rafal , @Michael_Todd and @sean.heasley

I can confirm this with Maya 2018 update 1. ( I rendered the first 3 frames only. )

compare_hair.gif

Also if i save the scene at frame 2 and open it again it's different than saving the scene at frame 1 and going to frame 2 (should be easier to reproduce and troubleshoot).

comp_hair2.gif

Message 11 of 24
Michael_Todd
in reply to: mspeer

i cannot replicate either of those results.

Michael Todd

Message 12 of 24
Michael_Todd

In your preferences, do you have Animation evaluation set to DG or Parallel?

cheers

Michael

Michael Todd

Message 13 of 24
mspeer

Hi!

Evaluation mode does not make a difference (for saving or loading) i also tested saving as .ma (same problem). Importing a scene leads to the same problem depending on the current frame at which you import the scene. Also resetting preferences did not change anything. Currently i have no idea what else i could test.

Scene files attached.

Message 14 of 24
teemu

Hi there. We're having EXACT same issue. We're using a 3rd party render farm. Earlier we had issues with clump node and added the cut-modifier to fix render crashing (invalid number of points-error). After we got that working, this issue raised it's head. 

Same thing : Deformed mesh. Renders fine on batch, but NOT on a 3rd party render farm. Also seems that saving on a different frame than 0 (bind pose), there are problems of xgen finding it's right seed/setting/direction for clumping? - so wild guess is that it must be something to do with the fact that Xgen is batching each frame separately....

clumperror.gif

(Maya 2017.4 - tried also rendering with 2018 on the farm, same result).

We're delivering in 1 week and need to get this sorted asap - any idea? Any dirty workaround even would be amazing!

Rafal - did you find a solution to this by any chance?

Message 15 of 24
rafal
in reply to: teemu

Hi, Caching fur seems to solve this issue but it takes time :(.

Good luck

Message 16 of 24
slimboJoe

Could it be the result of a HIGH VALENCE VERTEX problem, where Xgen is evaluating the geometry differently if the frame progression is not sequential?

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: slimboJoe

We are having the same problem.  Is there any resolution?

Message 18 of 24
mspeer
in reply to: slimboJoe

Hi!

@slimboJoe. Nice idea, but that's not the problem.

It happens with a simple Torus too.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

Hi @Michael_Todd,

I have exactly the same issue. did you find a solution?

Message 20 of 24
licenses
in reply to: Anonymous

Same problem here. Clumps change every frame  Maya 2018.4.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report