Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen Hair Noob question

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
269 Views, 1 Reply

Xgen Hair Noob question

Hi, 

I would like to know if I import a head mesh from zbrush into maya and create xgen hair for this head, can I reimport into Zbrush afterward my head to do modification and reimport into maya without recreating the xgen hair ?

Other questions, can I make Xgen hair with the head mesh, merge the head and body mesh in Zbrush and then reimport the merged model into Maya without recreating Xgen hair ?

Thanks for your help

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
daunish
in reply to: Anonymous

Can’t say for certain. But I think I’m theory this should work.

Xgen uses mesh long names and ptex. As long as the mesh name doesn’t change. And the primitive (face) id’s and total stays the same you should be good.

I’d recommend doing a quick test with a sphere and see how the workflow handles it and what bugs pop up. Xgen can be unpredictable!!

As for merging the body in zbrush. There’s no way that’s going to work. It would break the maya long name and the ptex maps, as metering geos changes prim id. But you could recreate the hair as long as it’s not too complex. Just do all your attibute painting on the uvs and then export to ptex... i know you can do this is Mari, not sure about mudbox.

Let me know how it goes, I’m super curious.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report