Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xgen density map not working as they should

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
adamodonnellcg
1037 Views, 4 Replies

xgen density map not working as they should

Hi there I've run into I problem recently where xgens density maps are not reducing density with grey values. In the past when I've used a gradient between black and white to give a falloff in density. But now it only seems to respond to either black or white values with no in-between. 

Someone else I know is also having this same issue.

Cheers,

Adam

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @adamodonnellcg,

this could be related to the scene units, which can result in a very small scene. Which units are you using in your scene?

Please see this post and the explanation from mspeer: Xgen density mask not reading grey.

Another cause of the problems while painting a density mask can be Pen Pressure or Wacom settings, see here:

xgen density maps not working fine

Why is black not acting like black in XGen when I paint it back

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Patrick

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 3 of 5

Hi Patrick, thanks for your help with this.

My scene scale is correct and I always turn off stylus pressure in the tool setting, so I dont think these are the issues unfortunately. I've used xgen's density maps a lot over the past few years and never had this problem. The only thing I've updated recently is Arnold but I doubt it could be that but wanted to log it here in case anybody else comes across the same issue. Hopefully I can find the solution soon.

Cheers,

Adam

Message 4 of 5

Hello @adamodonnellcg,

thanks for the info! Which Arnold version are you actually using?

Best regards,
Patrick

“https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png”
Message 5 of 5

I ran into the same problems and after some testing it had to do with the chosen ptex map resolution when the "create map" button is pressed.

The standard value is 5 but you can still change it later by clicking on the expression icon.

You will have something like this, so just edit the number in the end.

$a=map('${DESC}/paintmaps/mask');#3dpaint,5.0

$a

Change it to something else, hit accept and the save icon, and see what happens. Your painted map (with grey, etc) may already be in memory so hitting save will just update the xgen map (with its new resolution) and you will see the density changing in real time:

$a=map('${DESC}/paintmaps/mask');#3dpaint,50.0

$a

That are other factors to consider, such as:

- The uvs of the object will affect it indirectly since painting on a tiny uv will create lots of artifacts, and if the xgen map resolution is high enough it may even catch on to that;

- Scene scale;

- Relative mesh size and its hair density setting;

- many others... but not as important, maybe...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report