Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen Create mel/Export geometry not working.

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Raees_malik1801
3769 Views, 19 Replies

Xgen Create mel/Export geometry not working.

Xgen is my hell.

So ive started working on the Bodice for my model and its been going fine till up to now...

I used the Card primitive and in order to render I need to export the description into a mesh and I tried to use the Export as Mel option only it exports an empty file? so I tried to export it as geometry only it gives me this error

// Warning: XGen(0):  Unsupported primitive type: CardPrimitive for description "elsa_new:description71"  // 

DIE!.png

Any help on either getting the mel or geometry export working? 

Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

That might be related to a similar issue like in this thread.

From that thread:

The convert to geometry function only works with primitives that are generated by XGen, hence the "Unsupported Primitive Type" error.

If you want to convert the instanced archives to geometry, you can change the output operation to MEL output and export a MEL file that will contain all the instanced geo that can be imported to Maya.

CreateMel.png

You then set the export location and hit the Create MEL button to save out a file, named for the description.

CreateMel2.png

You can then import the Mel file, which contains the geo.  

CreateMel3.png

You can export all or a percentage of the primitives as needed. There is also an option to export as instances. The geo in the mel file will be grouped to reflect the instancing as generated by XGen.

CreateMel4.png

Please let me know if this works for you!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 20

Ive tried this it won't work. it just gives me a .file which I tried to change to a .mel only there's

nothing written in the file? 

Untitled-1.png 

@sean.heasley wrote:

Hi @Raees_malik1801

That might be related to a similar issue like in this thread.

From that thread:

The convert to geometry function only works with primitives that are generated by XGen, hence the "Unsupported Primitive Type" error.

If you want to convert the instanced archives to geometry, you can change the output operation to MEL output and export a MEL file that will contain all the instanced geo that can be imported to Maya.

CreateMel.png

You then set the export location and hit the Create MEL button to save out a file, named for the description.

CreateMel2.png

You can then import the Mel file, which contains the geo.  

CreateMel3.png

You can export all or a percentage of the primitives as needed. There is also an option to export as instances. The geo in the mel file will be grouped to reflect the instancing as generated by XGen.

CreateMel4.png

Please let me know if this works for you!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 4 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Hmm that's unusual. If you try to import the file does anything happen?

If not, then you may need to reload your Xgen which you can do by going to Windows->Settings/Preferences->Plugin Manager then uncheck the load and auto load button for Xgen and then check load again.

Message 5 of 20

@sean.heasley

Xgen and I don't get along very well...

every time I uncheck it just throws another error at me

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 1524: Plug-in, "xgenToolkit", cannot be unloaded because it defines a MPxData derived type that is still in use. // 

Message 6 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Ah this is probably because your scene is using Xgen so heavily. Try creating a new scene, then do my above steps, open your scene and then see if anything changes.

Xgen can be a finical beast so I understand your frustrations Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 20

@sean.heasley

I made a new scene and I unloaded Xgen then reloaded. last time it wouldn't even let me click the little folder to choose where to save the file, it now allowing me to do that. But is still saving an empty file... 

oh, i understand how finicky Xgen can be this is one of my smaller problems with it Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Weird. Can you try making a new scene with a basic cube and Xgen then try the same process to see if it works?

I'd like to see if this process isn't working with the one file you're working on or across your Maya entirely.

Message 9 of 20

@sean.heasley

It's gotten further... it actually made a mel file this time!

and the file has something in it, only is a bunch on splines? 

Untitled-1.jpg

Message 10 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Yes the mel file should contain the geometry that you exported.

What did you have selected when you did this or how was your Xgen set up?

Message 11 of 20

@sean.heasley

This is what the export settings look like.

Untitled-1.jpg

Message 12 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Sorry I should've clarified, what kind of object did you have set up for Xgen when doing this?

For example, in Michael Todds explanation above he has what looks like the roots to a plant. That is what is sent to the MEL file and then imported.

In your case, if you only had a handful of curves or something similar selected thats why you're seeing that when you import and that means its working as expected.

Message 13 of 20
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 14 of 20

sorry for the late reply,

im using the card preset in xgen.

Message 15 of 20

ok so, i got a fix. DO NOT USE THE CARDS , use the custom geometry... it rendered out fine!! 

thanks for all your help!! 

Message 16 of 20

Hi @Raees_malik1801

Awesome! Thanks for explaining what you did and marking it as the solution!

Message 17 of 20
reniferziolo
in reply to: sean.heasley

I know it's been a while but the solution you have'mentioned is not working for me. The MEL  script just imports the archived geometry and puts it at the 0,0,0 position. I used specified points as a placement method. I would really appreciate any help.  Thank you!

Message 18 of 20

I'm having same problem and after changing the output to Create Mel, nothing happens when I click on "CREATE MEL"

Tags (4)
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: johnkdd2000

im also having same problem with my maya 2020 students version..

Message 20 of 20
lukasvogl
in reply to: Raees_malik1801

i had the same issue. following things should help you fix the issue. and maybe help autodesk to improve on this. as there is no indication that something went wrong where it should´t have

i am sure this issue happens with a xgen conflict in the maya projekt or namespaces. for example deleted a description or something along those lines. as it often does with xgen and trying out different approaches.

so to fix the issue. convert your guides to splines (utilities) and copy the guide and your geo to a new file with a brandnew mayaproject set beforehand. (not sure if it has something to do with it... but doublecheck you don´t have namespaces on your geo) 
create a new description and reimport your splines to guides

hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report