Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-gen error, snapping back my curves....

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
KyleG87
1168 Views, 18 Replies

X-gen error, snapping back my curves....

I am entering the final phases of the groom I'm doing and had to switch around some geometry etc. My file from a few iterations ago is not giving me any problems. On my most recent file, though, whenever I try to adjust one of my groomable spline curves, it snaps back and gives me an error. It's not seeing my guides anymore when they're clearly still there. Anyone know what is wrong?

error1.jpg

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
sean.heasley
in reply to: KyleG87

Hi @KyleG87

Have you edited the names at all of anything like your guides, file paths etc that could be throwing xGen off?

Also, if you load an earlier version of the scene does the same issue occur?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 19
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 19
KyleG87

Hey I am still having the same problem. I will attach a previous save version where it is still working, and then my most recent version where it is not. The only thing I can think that I changed was the base mesh I have behind the grooms, and I grouped the scalps that I created the Xgen descriptions on. I tried ungrouping them and deleting the history on the scalps but that hasn't helped. Still stuck.

First image with green check is the older version that still works. Second image with red X is the newest version where it doesn't. help1.jpghelp2.jpg

Message 5 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

I don't see any files attached in your previous post so when you get a chance, can you please come back to the forums and manually attach the scene files here so I can take a look at them?

Message 6 of 19
KyleG87

Hey Sean. I am trying to attach the scene file but it is too big and will not let me attach it here. What should I do?

Message 7 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

You can zip the file and make a downloadable link via google drive or dropbox and then post that download link here!

Message 8 of 19
KyleG87

Hey. The original scene file is 598 MB. When I compress it, it is still about 160 MB. The limit of the attachments here seems to be around 76.8 MB.

Message 9 of 19
KyleG87
Message 10 of 19
KyleG87

I am trying to attach the xgen file here lastly and it's not working. It's only 366 KB but it still won't let me attach it.... Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help...

Message 11 of 19
mspeer

Hi!

Maybe a problem with the new design of the forum, try to Zip them.

Message 12 of 19
KyleG87
in reply to: mspeer

Ok thanks trying it here. Xgen colleciton to go along with the scene.....

Message 13 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

Sorry for the delayed response!

I'm trying to import the collection but it keeps failing. By chance could you zip and attach the entire project folder via google drive or dropbox so I can take a look at it that way?

Message 14 of 19
KyleG87

Hey Sean yea I tried. Did this link work?

Message 15 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

Yes that's the file I tried.

Maya just spits out errors like:  WindowsError: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:/Users/Kyle/Documents/maya/projects/default/xgen/collections/Collection/TopOfHead/*.*'

Changing the file paths isn't helping as well which is a bit unusual.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that the older version of your scene file works. If you continue working on that one does the snapping issue come back or does it not appear?

Message 16 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 17 of 19
KyleG87

Hey Sean sorry for the long time between replies. Let's try this link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tzkqm1tge1hkqc/GiantHairFinalPhase2.ma?dl=0

That is the last iteration of the file that seems to be working, so I don't know what I changed from there to the most recent one that does not work. All I can think of that I changed would be the base model on which I was laying the descriptions, I don't know if that effects things. I'll just have to be more careful on my next project.

And here is the hair collection for this older version of the project:

Message 18 of 19
sean.heasley

Hi @KyleG87

Thanks for attaching that file!

I was able to get it set up and yes there are no issues on that files (except I had to manually generate the clump maps but that always happens)

That said, I played around with it and tried to break it and cause the same error you were seeing but had no luck Smiley Frustrated

For now we may have to chalk it up to something wonky going wrong with Xgen but if it happens again please let me know and I'll see if I can reproduce the issue!

Message 19 of 19
KyleG87

Ok thanks pal. Man Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report