Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfold3d Process error

103 REPLIES 103
SOLVED
Message 1 of 104
Anonymous
44407 Views, 103 Replies

Unfold3d Process error

Hello

This error is occuring whenever i try to unwrap a slightly complex object like a face or body using the Unwrap or Optimize commands. This is a new computer and it is using a Ryzen 9 CPU if that makes any difference. Also a fresh install 

Things i have tried:

1. Disabling and re-enabling the unfold3d plugin

2. uninstalling and re-installing maya 2019

3. using maya 2018

4. shrinking the object so its smaller

5. unwrapping different objects from old projects that i have already successfully unwrapped in the past using unfold3d

6.unwrapping with Houdini or Blender (works!)

7. wrapping in zbrush (works!)

8. unwrapping using Maya 2019 on my work computer (works!)

9. reseting to default preferences.

So it appears to be some kind of system issue but i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling maya several times. as well as registry cleaning/rebooting in between.

103 REPLIES 103
Message 2 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Just wanted to follow up on this. This issue is still occuring and I have been unable to find a solution

Message 3 of 104
mspeer

Hi!

Please provide a scene-file.

Message 4 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

Here is an example scene of an asset that break. However this issue is scene agnostic and happens in many scenes.

Message 5 of 104
mspeer

Hi!

No scene attached and no steps provided about what to do in this scene.

Message 6 of 104
Anonymous

Does this work?

In terms of repro steps, just try to unfold the UV islands using Unfold3d. It should work for you, as this error is not an error in my projects (I have moved to other computers and they unfold fine)

Message 7 of 104
mspeer

Hi!

So this is only a problem on one special computer?

I don't have any problems here with this scene.

Try deleting history before using Unfold.

Message 8 of 104
Anonymous

Yes this is only an issue with my new computer that i just build, which is why i think it may be a hardware compaitibility issue?

my PC;

Ryzen 9 3900x

Nvidia Gefore 2080ti

64 GB DDR4 RAM

Message 9 of 104
Anonymous

I have the same symptoms. I have the same cpu Ryzen 3900x.

Message 10 of 104
Anonymous

I am experiencing the same issue and I have a Ryzen 9  3900x CPU as well

Message 11 of 104
alec.andersenLP8AU

Hello @Anonymous @Anonymous,

We're looking into this issue with the Ryzen CPU. I would presently suggest the following:

1. Check your motherboard manufacturer's website to see if updated BIOS files are available. If so, follow the instructions offered to flash your BIOS with the latest firmware.
  2. Consult with your motherboard and BIOS manufacturer about turning off SMT on your system via the BIOS/UEFI settings. In addition, check the technical support forums for your motherboard make to see if other customers offer optimization tips for improving performance.

I hope this helps, we believe that the simultaneous multithreading is the cause of this issue within the Ryzens.

Message 12 of 104
fe_re
in reply to: alec.andersenLP8AU
Message 13 of 104
fe_re
in reply to: fe_re

I disable SMT, but the still fails.

Message 14 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: alec.andersenLP8AU

I flashed my BIOS and also updated BIOS and drivers and everything which is possible but I guess the issue is with Maya as it is not compatible with Ryzen CPU's and UNFOLD is not able to work on even slight complicated geometry. I suppose Maya is not built for Ryzen and it's time for me to move to a better option in terms of software.

Message 15 of 104
Anonymous

Same here, I tried to deactivate multithreading, Limit the core usage to only 2, update the bios, Turn off SMT and set affinity on the Maya app. At this point, I will rather swap to another software solution.

Message 16 of 104
enrac

Have you tried launching Maya as Administrator? The error message is from some code that tries to spawn a child process.

Message 17 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: enrac

Yes , I have launched Maya as an administrator, Here I would once again like to remind you that it is working fine on My intel Machine but not on my Ryzen machine so I suppose it has nothing to do with launching it in Administrator Mode. 

Message 18 of 104
fe_re
in reply to: enrac

Why do you insist on trying basic things?

The problem is between MAYA and the CPU.

Message 19 of 104
enrac

Well, to be fair, the OS will interact differently based on the CPU. Vulnerabilities like Spectre and Meltdown that only affect Intel CPUs should attest to that.

Message 20 of 104
enrac
in reply to: fe_re

Hi there, the error you're seeing comes from a piece of code in Maya that spawns (or tries to) a second process to do some work. This involves using a Windows API call and as such will behave differently depending on how the app was launched as well as (sometimes) the hardware it's launched on. Hence my suggestion. I haven't been able to reproduce this on my AMD machine, and the only point I can think of is that I'm logged in with admin privileges on my machine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report