Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfold3d Process error

103 REPLIES 103
SOLVED
Message 1 of 104
Harrison.Moore
41938 Views, 103 Replies

Unfold3d Process error

Hello

This error is occuring whenever i try to unwrap a slightly complex object like a face or body using the Unwrap or Optimize commands. This is a new computer and it is using a Ryzen 9 CPU if that makes any difference. Also a fresh install 

Things i have tried:

1. Disabling and re-enabling the unfold3d plugin

2. uninstalling and re-installing maya 2019

3. using maya 2018

4. shrinking the object so its smaller

5. unwrapping different objects from old projects that i have already successfully unwrapped in the past using unfold3d

6.unwrapping with Houdini or Blender (works!)

7. wrapping in zbrush (works!)

8. unwrapping using Maya 2019 on my work computer (works!)

9. reseting to default preferences.

So it appears to be some kind of system issue but i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling maya several times. as well as registry cleaning/rebooting in between.

103 REPLIES 103
Message 61 of 104
anwarquraishee786
in reply to: T0M0X

Maybe they hate AMD user and not resolving the issue.. anyone here is
YouTuber please make a video on this issue.
Message 62 of 104
jl8289
in reply to: anwarquraishee786

While I'm not impressed with the sheer number of bugs Maya still has considering how long it has been in development, I can understand the reasons why the " fix " for this bug in particular might take as long as it does.

My best guess is they're just going to roll the fix into one of the dot maintenance releases with other bug fixes. 

Message 63 of 104
T0M0X
in reply to: jl8289

I absolutely don't understand.

Bug was reported long time ago before Update 1 for 2020 was released and nothing.

If I'm correct, the bug was reported even before release of 2020 when 2019 was main version....

2019 version will be fixed too ? 

Message 64 of 104
anwarquraishee786

Should we start petition about this.
Message 65 of 104
ChunkyDipper

I didn't expect it to be fixed in 2020.1 update since it is an issue that affects previous versions as well.

A petition won't do anything, and I wonder what will. As I've said before, I've talked with them and they are aware of the issue and they working on it the rep said. Fix is expected in 6 months.

Maybe if you called and complained could make them put more resources on it.

Message 66 of 104

Funny fact. Unfold3d stand alone unwraps with no problems so how come the implementation doesn't work. It is not the processor fault it is Autodesk fault. Also the shoud do an update for older versions.

Message 67 of 104

Did somebody said hope ?  : 

Maya 2019.3

What's Fixed

UV Editing: Unfold3D Process Error

Many users on systems with newer, high-end CPUs like Ryzen 3900x series have reported issues and 'Unfold3D Process Error' messages when unwrapping or optimizing UVs. If you run Maya using one of these high performance CPUs, you can now set the environment variable MAYA_USE_ALTERNATE_UNFOLD_SHIM = 1 to use the Unfold3D tools. MAYA-103288

Message 68 of 104
jmartinfr
in reply to: jmartinfr

Just tried it  on 2019.3

working.jpg

Not the most elegant as you DO need that env variable  ( you'd assume the switch could be done internally based on CPU type ) , but it's doing the trick .. and not failing miserably . 

About  time ...

( I'll check if 2020.1 also beneficiate from that env var ) 

Message 69 of 104
jmartinfr

nah ... 2020.1 still need a patch up ...  

Message 70 of 104

Hi All!

In addition to the Release notes for Maya 2019.3 (see defect MAYA-103288) which discusses the fix, we also have instructions to resolve this error at this article: "Unfold 3d Process Error" when attempting to unwrap an object in Maya.

Thanks for posting your findings and being a part of our community!

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 71 of 104
T0M0X

I took a closer look and it looks like it is using some kind of 2017 version of Unfold (assuming by the name of the new file that appeared in bin folder of Update 3)

There are two new files in Update 3 for Maya 2019:

unfold3dlib.dll - 99.8MB - sha1 a9799263f360ed3c860980c986aefd5031fe0591

UnfoldShim2017.exe - 122kB - sha1 38a508efe9df78ab8b8f4bfc54edac7628bdc48c

So there is a way how to run Unfold3D in Maya 2020.1 now (if you are running on Ryzen or Threadripper):

1.  download and extract unfold.rar 

2. copy and replace files in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2020\bin

(UnfoldShim2017.exe is already renamed to UnfoldShim.exe, so you just need to replace the file, consider backup the original)

Also I did some quick test with unfolding teddy bear model, most UVs were unfolded with just slightly difference and one UV shell wasn't unfolded properly.

Personally I would be happier with 1:1 result but it is still better than nothing or Legacy mode.

unfold.jpg

Message 72 of 104
sebastian.lautsch

Works on 2020.1 Thanks for the files.

1)Added env variabale to maya 2020 but on windwos side. Did not work.
2)I did update from 2020 to 2020.1 added env variable in maya.env. Did not work.
3)swaped the files and it works. At least no errors.

Message 73 of 104
fe_re

Thanks!!!

Works on Maya 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Message 74 of 104
T0M0X
in reply to: sebastian.lautsch

You're welcome.

The env_var for 2020 and 2020.1 won't work because it wasn't implemented there.

I really hope that Autodesk will consider to fix this bug properly in future Updates/versions of Maya, so we won't need to bother with variables.

Not because it's hard to set up, but because we need an unified version of Unfold3D to use on all systems regardless the CPU that computer is using. (as I mentioned earlier, the fix in Update 3 for Maya 2019 is using some 2017 version of Unfold and it's producing slightly different results). 

Message 75 of 104

please guide us how to set environment variable

Message 76 of 104
mspeer
in reply to: anwarquraishee786

Hi!

It's very well explained in the provided links, including formatting and examples, is there anything specific you don't understand?

Message 77 of 104
skizzledUX5TR

Out. Friggen. Standing!

This actually worked for me and my 3900X system with Maya 2020.

Thank you @T0M0X. You rock!

All the best.

Message 78 of 104
mahsunbasdas98

thank you so much tomox!

you saved us, yes you!

Message 79 of 104
France3D

Thank you very much TOMOX!! 

AMD ryzen 3700x

It worked For me too!!

Message 80 of 104

Thank you TOMOX! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report