Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo queue is on, but Undo is blank/empty/doesn't do anything

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mmlodzienski
1126 Views, 5 Replies

Undo queue is on, but Undo is blank/empty/doesn't do anything

Keep running into a weird issue on and off over the last year in Maya 2018, and just ran into it again in Maya 2019. Keeps happening even when every extra window is closed, not running anything non-Autodesk plugins or scripts besides LightShader which I'm not sure if involved. Simply put, I keep running into a situation where I use the undo command, it appears to work, but the command response just says "Undo:" (ie it doesn't seem to actually undo anything) and nothing happens. It happens pretty regularly and makes it hard to work sometimes. It has persisted through several clean resets of my preferences, and I know the undo queue is turned on and set to 50. Has anyone run into this?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi @mmlodzienski 

Thanks for being a part of our community! 🙂 This is a strange issue for sure. Have you found that it happens completely randomly? Or is is specific to a certain workflow or tool (modeling, texturing, node editor, etc)?

Also, can you tell me about your machine? Are you on Windows? How much RAM do you have? What is your GPU and driver number? (if on windows, run a DxDiag report to get that info quickly)

Thanks for your time! I look forward to hearing from you.

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 6

That's the thing, I haven't noticed any real repeatable pattern that causes it. The most recent time it happened I was moving a nurbs curve for a rig (dead simple vehicle rig, so not interfacing with the rigging systems other than some basic constraints) and I couldn't undo moving it. However I think I've had it come up during modeling, setting up shaders, and animating as well. It goes away too - often if I work through it (ie just keep making new history) things will go back to normal, but sometimes it keeps happening. For all I know it's some sort of PEBKAC that is causing it. That's why I was wondering if someone had heard of something similar - I have no idea what it could be.

I've attached my dxdiag report.

Message 4 of 6

Haha! PEBKAC errors always seem to make themselves apparent once I ask for help... its the worst! 🙂

Thanks for sending along that DxDiag! I found that Nvidia just released a new driver for your graphics card this month, which may help with performance consistency.

I also found a couple of potential workaround that could refresh the viewport if this happens again:

• under preferences, turn the Undo function Off/on and then save preferences - good 'ol tech support recommending the turn on and off thing 😉
  • save the file (undo should work after)
  • copy/paste this command into the MEL tab at the bottom of Maya: ogs -reset
    • This is a viewport refresh, but perhaps that is what is causing the hangup with the undo command

Obviously, it may take a while to test these as the error seems to happen randomly, but if you do have the chance, will you let us know if any of those suggestions worked? I'd love to track down the cause of this 🙂

Thanks again for posting! We look forward to hearing back.

Jordan Giboney
Technical Solutions Engineer | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 5 of 6

unfortunately,it doesnt help. It's hell to aniamte like this

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: reniferziolo

It happens when you delete all the points on a curve in the Graph Editor for me. As long as I avoid that, it's no trouble. If you need to delete the graph editor points, just leave 1 and start with that one. Otherwise remove the key from the timeline.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report