Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UsdSkel bindings not working in Maya 2022?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
gmobile79
1501 Views, 3 Replies

UsdSkel bindings not working in Maya 2022?

It seems that UsdSkel bindings aren't working properly in Maya 2022 (in Windows 10).

The 2 files in the attached zip file should help illustrate what I'm seeing:

• test_animated.mb: The file containing the "source data" (used for exporting a .usda file)
  • test_skel.usda: The .usda file exported from test_animated.mb

If you open up the test_skel.usda file in usdview, you'll see that it appears to have been exported correctly (i.e., it looks exactly like the animated rig in the test_animated.mb file). For what it's worth, I also tried loading this same test_skel.usda file in Houdini 18.5, and it looks fine in there, too.

However, if you load the test_skel.usda file in Maya 2022 (via Create -> Universal Scene Description (USD) -> Stage from File...), you'll see that the mesh isn't bound to the skeleton (i.e., the mesh remains static while the skeleton animates).

The fact that the test_skel.usda file loads properly in usdview and Houdini makes me think there's nothing wrong with the Maya exporter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
gmobile79
in reply to: gmobile79

I forgot to mention that when I create the stage from the skel_test.usda file, I see the following in the script editor:

// Error: Unsupported prim type: extComputation -- Coding Error in InsertPrim at line 100 of S:\jenkins\workspace\ecg-usd-full-python3-windows\ecg-usd-build\usd\pxr\imaging\hd\primTypeIndex.cpp // 
// Error: Unsupported prim type: extComputation -- Coding Error in InsertPrim at line 100 of S:\jenkins\workspace\ecg-usd-full-python3-windows\ecg-usd-build\usd\pxr\imaging\hd\primTypeIndex.cpp // 
// Error: Failed verification: ' it != _sprimState.end() ' -- Coding Error in MarkSprimDirty at line 478 of S:\jenkins\workspace\ecg-usd-full-python3-windows\ecg-usd-build\usd\pxr\imaging\hd\changeTracker.cpp //

Also, scrubbing the timeline to preview the animation spams the script editor with the following:

// Error: Failed verification: ' it != _sprimState.end() ' -- Coding Error in MarkSprimDirty at line 478 of S:\jenkins\workspace\ecg-usd-full-python3-windows\ecg-usd-build\usd\pxr\imaging\hd\changeTracker.cpp // 
Message 3 of 4
will.telford
in reply to: gmobile79

UsdSkel skin binding is computed on the gpu by the render delegate. MayaUSD's Vp2Renderdelegate does not yet support GPU compute. This is work that we do have prioritized though. In the meantime you can use the HD Storm Hydra delegate from Pixar (the same one usdView uses) to see the deforming skin. This can be accomplished by loading the experimental mtoh plugin and then choosing Hydra GL as the viewport render delegate.

Senior Product Owner of Rigging at Autodesk
https://twitter.com/wtelford
Message 4 of 4

Hi,
Issue:
The Maya USD exporter doesn't export the skin cluster correctly.

When I export a simple skeleton with the Skin cluster using Maya 2022 USD exporter, The skin cluster is broke in the USD file and the.

To narrow down the problem and work on a standard file:

1) I downloaded the Pixar USDSKEL Example from here https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/downloads.html

2)Imported the USD as Maya nodes (via Import USD) and Animated the "USDSKEL Example" joints and baked it

Scenario 1: 

3) Then I exported it to USD and it works perfectly fine

Scenario 2:
4) I removed the skin cluster from the meshes and selected the geometries and the skeleton and applied a Maya skin cluster to it

5)After I exported it to USD with the same settings, now the mesh is going everywhere like crazy

Note: the only thing that has changed is that I removed the weird USD skin clusters node and Bind them again to the joints with the Maya skin Cluster.

Any hint or guide toward fixing this would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Hamed Pourkerman

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report