Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden crash without error log when starting some python plugins

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
1053 Views, 0 Replies

Sudden crash without error log when starting some python plugins

Hello all! First time posting. 🙂

Here's the situation: I have a specific work setup for modelling and animating in Maya 2020 that works perfectly fine on my work PC. I just bought a new laptop to be able to bring my work on the go, and replicated the same setup with the same versions of everything, but it's not behaving the same way.

In short, I'm using Maya 2020, and a handful of third-party plugins, the resources for which I'll link below. On the new laptop, every time I try to launch one of those plugins (specifically those in Python) from my custom shelf, Maya unexpectedly crashes, with no error message or crash log. It simply shuts down. 

Leads:

• It seems to only affect the python plugins - or at least I believe they all use Python. I initially thought it was only affecting those with a custom GUI, but AdvancedSkeleton5 works and is a MEL plugin.
  • Before the crash when starting Pipeline, I catch a glimpse of information from the script editor, mentioning pymel.core. Screenshot attached. (I don't know how to make the text wrap so it cuts off)
  • Screenshots included for script editor when loading StudioLib and NGSkinTools, but not much there.
  • A friend suggested it might be something related to PyMEL installation, but I never had to set up things differently on the other machine, and frankly before this I knew nothing about PyMEL. I looked into updating it but... I'm frankly pretty out of my depth.
  • The laptop is using some sort of system to adjust performance for CPU, GPU etc. depending on the application being used. I tried turning that off, but it doesn't seem to help my problem.
  • I uninstalled and reinstalled Maya to make sure that Arnold, Bitfrost, and all optional add-ons would be checked in so it would be the same setup as my work PC. No dice.
  • I deleted all user prefs, deleted the plugins and re-added them, no dice.
  • Unity Pro, Plastic Gluon and Affinity Photo seem to function without a hitch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The laptop is a GIGABYTE AORUS 15P XD. Speccy specs screenshot attached.
Their Ai thing for performance: https://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/408/ 

The plugins that instantly make Maya crash are:

The plugins that seem to work are:

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report