Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sculpting has Dark Faces

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
sndye
9909 Views, 24 Replies

Sculpting has Dark Faces

Screenshot 2018-03-05 00.59.50.pngI was trying to sculpt my head, but for some reason, the faces have turned black. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks 

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
sean.heasley
in reply to: sndye

Hi @sndye

Is there a texture applied to this face or any lights in the scene?

It looks unusual because while they're dark you can still see a bit of color on them. If there are some faces that are completely black you can try going to Mesh Display-> Reverse Normals.

Also, can you post a screenshot of how the model looked before the faces darkened?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 25
sndye
in reply to: sean.heasley

Ok, so the issue was the texture that was applied. I switched it to a lampert and now it works fine.

Message 4 of 25
sndye

Nevermind. WHen it's on smooth preview mode it goes back to the dark faces. Also reversing the faces does not work.

Message 5 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @sndye

When you get a chance, can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it?

Message 6 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @sndye

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 7 of 25
sndye

Sorry for the delay

Message 8 of 25
sndye

I am also having a problem sculpting the hair. The error says I need to perform a mesh clean up.

Message 9 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @sndye

I figured it out! The reason the faces are turning black is you have smooth preview enabled. To disable this simply press the '1' key. Then you will be able to use the sculpt tool normally.

As for your other issue, if your mesh has any non manifold geometry then this can make sculpting an issue. Maya is pointing to one of the hairs on the side of your character that is a triangle but only has 2 edges I'm not sure how but the bottom edge somehow got deleted.

To fix this, simply go to Mesh->Cleanup and select Non-manifold Geometry then select Cleanup.

This will fix the geometry and allow you to sculpt.

Let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 10 of 25
sndye

So, I knew about hitting 1 to fix  that issue, but I want to look at it in smooth preview mode. If there is no way to fix the smooth preview faces then I will just grim and beret it.

I also tried the mesh cleanup thing, but it only highlighted some faces and does not allow me to sculpt.

Thank you

Message 11 of 25
sndye

Ok, I just found the stray face in the hair and deleted it. I can sculpt now.

Message 12 of 25
sean.heasley

Hi @sndye

Yes the reason you can't sculpt is probably because you had it set to highlight what was wrong and not automatically fix it.

To fix this make sure you have Cleanup matching polygons selected and Apply to selected checked as well.

cleanup.png

Also, I believe that once your model is cleaned up you should be able to sculpt even while in smooth preview.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous

Hello,

The same issue has happened to me multiple times and I have finally found out what is causing the issue. I have been messing around and found if you are repeatedly beveling faces and mirroring the object it is causing the problem. After about the third time mirroring and beveling a face in between each mirror the beveled faces turn black in smooth shade while sculpting. Hope that helps.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I was also having this issue - I fixed it in 2 ways. 1) If there is just one or two faces I would delete and then remake those faces. 2) If that did not work I would lop that part of (eg hand, foot ect..) Export it as an OBJ and turn off everything under "File Type Specific Options" and then reimport the object.  This problem is very random and cannot find a pattern to it with my work flows.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

I dont think its a 'solution' but you can try this:
Open the 'square' beside which is the tool option of sculpt tool, look for the 'display', and turn off the 'Show frozen/masked'.

(Sculpt tool option-->Display-->Show frozen/masked OFF)
The black face should look fine now.

Message 16 of 25
BharatMM

It Covers the issue!! Thanks
Message 17 of 25
The-Digital-Shaman

In my Maya 2022 faces turn black then trying to sculpt because od switched on HighQualityDisplay (subdiv preview).

All the best,

DS

Message 18 of 25
teresa.sanagustin

Thank u so much! It worked for me in maya 2022 

Message 19 of 25
CarterMakes3D

You're a hero! Thanks!
Message 20 of 25
bikepacker

Pressing the 1 key only get rid of the existing black. once you stop pressing, the black returns

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report