Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scrambled geometry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
423 Views, 4 Replies

scrambled geometry

After importing a model from Maya 2018 is looks fine, however, the geometry becomes scrambled completely upon switching from smoothed mesh (key 3) to smooth zero (key 1). Will include pictures. The geometry still appears to be fine in memory, as I can switch back and forth from smooth to simply poly, and the smoothed version still looks correct. But the simply poly view remains totally scrambled in the viewport and unuseable.

Exporting and then re-importing the model (through OBJ or FBX) seems to solve the problem, but loses all my model creases, and then becomes scrambled again later.

HELP! Thanks

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

smooth 0 - mesh correctsmooth 0 - mesh correctsmooth 1 mesh correctsmooth 1 mesh correctback to smooth 0 - mesh is scrambledback to smooth 0 - mesh is scrambledback to smooth 0 - mesh is scrambledback to smooth 0 - mesh is scrambled

Message 3 of 5
mspeer

Hi!

This looks like a problem with your GPU / driver.

Please upload a scene-file to enable other users to check the mesh and provide details about your GPU / driver version and Render Engine settings in Maya.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

With further testing, the problem is definitely related to instancing and scaling negative X  -- i.e. mirroring. It's something I use often for symetrcial modeling. While I can work around it, it's a bit of a pain and I'd like to know what's causing the problem. Maya 2018 doesn't have the problem.

Even a simple mesh instanced and mirrored is causing the problem, scrambling on switching back from smooth to unsmoothed view. I think the geometry is actually fine, but it's some GPU call that is bugged.

I'm using 417.35 drivers on my nvidia 10xx series cards, which are the latest certified.

Message 5 of 5
mspeer

Hi!

Sorry, i am not able to reproduce this here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report