Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with blendshape naming

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
yuuva
4564 Views, 13 Replies

Need help with blendshape naming

I am importing an fbx made in maya with simple blendshape on it into Unity, but it's got the wrong name when I set it up in unity. In maya, for example, the blendshape node is Blade_Longer, and the target shape is Dagger_Low, now I export the fbx and bring into Unity...but the blendshape in unity is called Blade_Longer.Dagger_Low

How do I remove the secondary name of the object and the period? I just want the blendshape to appear as Blade_Longer inside of Unity and that's it. My boss says this is possible and he needs the single name without the period.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sean.heasley
in reply to: yuuva

Hi @yuuva

What version of Unity are you using? You may want to check to make sure its up to date and that it isn't causing any issues.

Also, can you try making a basic cube or two and set it up with a Blendshape with similar names then export to Unity and see if the same issue occurs?

I'd like to narrow this down so we can make sure it is an issue with Maya itself and not Unity.

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 14
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @yuuva

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 14
yuuva

Alright so I updated to Unity 2018.1.1f1 and I made a new scene in maya, made a cube, duplicated it, moved it to the left, chose two corner verts and moved them, then added the blendshape to the original and deleted the duplicate. I named the blendshape as "Corner_Lengthen" and exported the cube as fbx. I brought into Unity and sure enough, the blendshape is Corner_Lengthen.pcube2

Message 5 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @yuuva

Before exporting, you can try deleting the history on it.

I'd recommend going to Modify->Freeze Transformations then Edit->Delete All by Type-> Delete All History.

If that doesn't work, then this may be an issue with Unity unless you know of an older Maya version where this wouldn't happen.

Message 6 of 14
yuuva

Unfortunately deleting all history erases the blendshapes themselves. I already tried deleting non-deformer history too. I had my boss send a correct FBX he already had that had no naming issues, and I imported into Unity myself and it had correct naming. I tried importing in Maya, then immediately exporting back out and into Unity..and that subname was attached to it, so it is indeed a Maya problem.

I tried to bring  this into 3DS Max and I can actually achieve the naming result I want, but that has led to a new issue..When I activate the morpher in Max, the vertices scramble in random directions to achieve the end shape. I don't know if I'm allowed to bring another topic into this one so ignore this if it's against the rules or something verts scramble upon morphingverts scramble upon morphing

Message 7 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @yuuva

Hmmm ok.

I wouldn't recommend going to 3ds Max as this may further complicate the naming conventions as well as the vertex issue you're seeing.

When you get a chance, can you please zip and attach the scene file here or via dropbox/google drive or another file sharing program so I can take a look at it?

I'd like to try taking to object from Maya to Unity on my machine and see if the same issue occurs.

Message 8 of 14
yuuva

I fixed it after all by using 3DS Max. It was a lot of researching and learning process for me but at the end of the day, it just seems that Maya saves out blendshapes on objects by naming them (blendshape name.sub-object name) and Max just saves them out with (blendshape name only). The previous image I attached was happening because my vertex order was different on the base compared to the target, so I started back at the beginning and fixed it

Here's the fbx in question if you'd like to look at it yourself. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_noc2S6iSJfmC14KPLZURToSaVBt28yv/view?usp=sharing

I can bring it straight into unity and have perfect blendshape name "SFB_BS_BladeLength. I can import into maya then export right back out and into unity and it gives the undesired blendshape name "morpher.SFB_BS_BladeLength"

Message 9 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @yuuva

Glad you figured it out!

I was going to look more into this because I know I've seen similar namespace issues occur not just with blend shapes.

I'm still going to look into it for future reference but thank you for sharing your solution!

Message 10 of 14
mspeer

Hi!

What "exact" Maya version are you using?

Export Settings for FBX, default?

What names are shown if you re-import your exported scene, are the names correct in Maya?

Message 11 of 14
yuuva
in reply to: mspeer

Im in Maya 2018, and I've tried all combinations of FBX export options. When I import a correct fbx into maya, the blendshape is called morpher and the target shape is the correct full name I set up, so if I were to export out of maya again it would be morpher.correct name

I am going to go ahead and mark this as solved, thanks for the help guys, I'll just have to run the fbx'es thru Max and do a few things each time to get the correct final blendshape names within Unity

Message 12 of 14
mspeer

Hi!

Again as you did not clearly state this:

1. Export from Maya as FBX.

2. Import this exported scene into Maya.

What names are shown?

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hello,

I know this is an old post, but I was having the same problem and figured out another solution that doesn't require additional software. When you're exporting your FBX file, set the FBX version to 2011 and the blendshape names will export correctly. This can be done in the Export dialog, under Options > File Type Specific Options > Advanced Options > FBX File Format > Version. 

mayaBlendshapeFix.jpg

Message 14 of 14
accountsVT2U7
in reply to: Anonymous

this was driving me nuts - all my blendshapes were being renamed on export to Unity until I saw your post 
and switched to the 2011 exporter.
Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report