Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MudKit Plugin Update - Version 1.2.0 Now with DynaCut (Curve Cut Tool)

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
JabbaTheNut
152 Views, 1 Reply

MudKit Plugin Update - Version 1.2.0 Now with DynaCut (Curve Cut Tool)

MudKit is a plugin for Autodesk Mudbox that provides a collection of tools that are currently missing in Mudbox.

And, best of all...

MudKit is Free!

You can get MudKit at http://mudkit.io 

If you like MudKit and it adds value to your workflow, please consider buying me a coffee. Your support would be much appreciated.

Buy me a coffee   😁

This release of MudKit (Version 1.2.0) introduces DynaCut.

Using features from DynaSkin and DynaBool, this tool cuts out portions of your selected mesh, based on a Mudbox view curve. Your creativity is the limit with this tool. Just draw and shape a Mudbox view curve to your liking, then cut. It’s that simple. As with the DynaBool tool, you can use DynaCut to quickly create incredibly complex geometry that would otherwise be difficult or time-consuming to sculpt.

DynaCut.png

DynaCut joins the other tools in the MudKit toolkit:

• DynaSkin - This tool quickly and dynamically regenerates a workable topology over the surface of your selected mesh.
  • DynaBool - Using the DynaSkin feature, DynaBool provides a set of boolean operations that can increase your creative flexibility.
  • Mesh Extract - This tool creates a new mesh from the selected faces of one, or more, other meshes.
  • Object Align - This toolset enables you to quickly align multiple selected objects to either a target object or the origin in X, Y, Z and XYZ space.

I am a 3D art and animation enthusiast who is interested in 3d animated short films. I am also an experienced programmer. I operate under my limited liability company: Iconic Motion Studios, LLC.

Among the 3D sculpting software on the market, I have always been partial to Autodesk Mudbox. I like the simplicity of its user interface, its comfortable workflow and its integration with Maya and 3ds Max. Mudbox, however, is missing some meaningful tools that many artists desire.

I developed MudKit to fill in some of the gaps that exist in Mudbox's current set of tools. As Autodesk incorporates some of the tools MudKit offers, I will adjust the toolkit accordingly. It is my sincere hope that Autodesk will do so. Until that happens...

Please Enjoy MudKit!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
JabbaTheNut
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

Hi,

I want to clarify how to use Mudbox view curves with DynaCut, as the tool works a bit differently from other similar tools (e.g. Zbrush Clip or Trim Curve).

The steps to use DynaCut with a Mudbox view curve are as follows:

1. Draw and shape a Mudbox view curve to your liking.
  2. With an active mesh in the scene, select the view curve and click the "DynaCut with Curve" button.

When creating your view curve, however, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. If your curve is not already closed, DynaCut will close it, behind the scenes, before processing. It does this by simply connecting the two endpoints of your open curve in a straight line.  Consequently, it is important that the endpoints of your view curve fall well outside your mesh, such that a straight line between the endpoints would also fall outside your mesh.  In Example 1 below, the endpoints of the open curve are not sufficiently outside of the mesh (a). When the endpoints are connected by Dynacut (b), the cut shape that is used leaves an unwanted portion of the mesh (c). Example 2 below, illustrates the proper form of this view curve. You will note that the endpoints of the curve are well outside the mesh, such that a straight line between the endpoints also falls outside the mesh.
  2. Your view curve should not have any intersections. Dynacut will still work with a curve that intersects. However, the results will likely not be what you expected (i.e., portions of the curve will cut and others will not).

EXAMPLE 1:

example_1.png

EXAMPLE 2:

example_2.png

I appreciate your patience. I should have provided some instruction sooner. I intend to pause my development on MudKit to focus my attention on creating a series of video tutorials for each of the its features.

Also, any feedback you may have is much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report