Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Ray 2016 plugin loads but only renders black

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mcbridecasey
9185 Views, 13 Replies

Mental Ray 2016 plugin loads but only renders black

Just installed Maya 2016. I was excited to check it out until Mental Ray will not put out an image! Loads the plugin without an issue, acts likes its rendering, and then renders black.

Maya 2016 & SP1

Mental Ray Plugin & SP1

Symptoms:

-In the new hypershade will not load mental ray preview.

-Tried deleting preferences, complete uninstall and reinstall of Maya, MR plugin, and Service packs with no luck. Same result.

-Tried brand new scene with single point light

-No alpha either

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mcbridecasey

I think sp1 is causing the problem.

I just did fresh re-install of all and MR worked fine in 2016 and rendered black after SP1 install

Message 3 of 14
wreliford
in reply to: Anonymous

Where did you find the mr sp1 plugin link? I can't find it. And you are correct, mr renders black however it acts like it is working times are as expected like 30 seconds. And I thought it was because I am missing the mr sp1 plugin. I think it maya sp1 that is the issue. I don't have mr sp1 installed yet.

Message 4 of 14
mcbridecasey
in reply to: wreliford

Here is the link to the service pack.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2016-servi...

I hope Autodesk gets this issue solved with sp2. Soon.

Message 5 of 14
wreliford

Is it confirmed that sp1 is the issue....or in other words useless for rendering?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Use the link in the post above.

if you install the MAYA 2016 SP1, you also have to install the MENTAL RAY SP1, which is listed in that link.

This was not obvious to me until I re-read all posts and took another look at the autodesk link.

good luck

Message 7 of 14
wreliford

...and so even when you install mr sp1...everything is fine now...is that correct? I am away from my animation workstation and I can't verify if all is well with both maya 2016 sp1 and mentalray sp1 2016.
Message 8 of 14
mcbridecasey

I tried it with both sp's and still getting black. I'm going to try without either service pack in the morning. 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Looks like service pack 3 breaks this again?

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

anyone found the solution? please help.
Message 11 of 14
wreliford

I thought that this was settled by installing mental ray which is a seperate installation now.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Instaled all service packs and new mr and still not working. Instaled Maya 2015, no updates.. and it works fine 🙂

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I had the same problem. Service Pack 5 for the Mental Ray plugin fixed it for me: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/maya-2016-service-pack-...
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Very helpful, thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report