Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya obj export with textures/materials

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
41483 Views, 5 Replies

Maya obj export with textures/materials

Is there a way to export obj from maya so that the materials and textures work when imported into another program? It works fine when exporting obj from Max.

Yes I am writing a .mtl file with it but still the textures are not working. What is the trick to this or is it something that just dosn't work?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: Anonymous

Fbx works much better in Maya, also make sure the textures are in the right project folder.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Ya I would prefer to use fbx but thats not the solution for us. The question is can I somehow export to .obj with materials and textures from Maya.

I am trying to come up with a workflow for printing in color with the projet 660 from maya. The 3d systems software will only use .zpr (doesn't work directly from Maya) or vrml (this one has been the most successfull but is not in 2016 and been deemed obsolete)

We currently use 3d edit pro to convert things to .zpr but it likes to see collada or obj both which maya doesn't export materials and texture. We have tried fbx ( and thats what I use for almost everything else) but some times it works and sometimes the UVs com in and they are destryed. Really odd because the .fbx exports come in fine to Modo Unreal even sketchup. Not sure why but if anyone has experience printing from Maya to the 3d systems projet 660 we would love any feedback you could provide.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
damaggio

I just exported a model with a texture and imported back as OBJ and the texture came with it, Dm22 I just used the default options, make sure you have enabled OBJ export in the plug in manager.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: damaggio

Thanks!

I have tried a bunch of different tests and found that due to the naming conventions that I had on my texture files it was causing errors when reading them into another app. Seems like when I removed any dashes it fixed my problems.

Message 6 of 6
damaggio

That's great troubleshooting DM...smooth sail ahead.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report