Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodeskโ€™s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maya Hair Appears bald on sides, even though there is hair on the sides. Xgen.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1181 Views, 6 Replies

Maya Hair Appears bald on sides, even though there is hair on the sides. Xgen.

Ok, so first of all I must say that the hair was created with xgen interactive grooming and then turned into polygons.

So the hair looks and works perfectly fine except on the sides of the head where the hair is clearly there, it appears very thin, almost bald. I thought this was just a preview when actually modelling the character. However to my suprise when I rendered my character the hair appeared the same on the sides very thin and almost looking bald. Can anyone please tell me what Ive done wrong here? And explain to me how to fix it? Im trying to build my 3D Showreel and theres alway one problem or another that occurs which prevents me from moving on to the next project ๐Ÿ˜ž

Bellow are some images of the problem:

Rendered Side View of Character where problem occurs!Rendered Side View of Character where problem occurs!Rendered Front View of Character.Rendered Front View of Character.Side View (Problem where Hair is thin and appearing bald)Side View (Problem where Hair is thin and appearing bald)Half way to the Side Modelling (Clearly Hair there)Half way to the Side Modelling (Clearly Hair there)Front View while ModellingFront View while Modelling

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

This looks like it may be due to how the splines were groomed.

Depending on how the hair is set up it may look normal from the front but not from the side.

When you get a chance, can you please post a screenshot of your scene in the viewport and how the xgen hair looks there?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

The 2 last screenshots are use with Viewport 2.0. I dont have any other option to use another renderer while modelling. But for final renders here are some images with the different renderers I have:

Arnold Renderer: Looking slightly different today for some reason. Seems thicker. But still too thin.Arnold Renderer: Looking slightly different today for some reason. Seems thicker. But still too thin.Maya Software Renderer:Maya Software Renderer:Maya Hardware 2.0 RendererMaya Hardware 2.0 Renderer

Message 4 of 7
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for attaching those screenshots!

It doesn't look like there's an actually issue here or bug, there simply isn't enough hair on the sides of the head. Have you tried grooming more hair over the sides then rendering again?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes, I tried doing this last night, instead I tried again from scratch. I tried with the desity brush but things got a bit messy with hair lenghts being differnt sizes and the cut brush helped in some ways. Just so I dont get anything wrong, how would I go about grooming more hair over the sides?

Message 6 of 7
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Using the density brush and/or increasing the amount of splines should work to add more hair.

Message 7 of 7
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report