Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maya glitch non-planar faces

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ghostlight_rei
181 Views, 2 Replies

maya glitch non-planar faces

i get this problem sometimes where the geometry looks perfectly sound but maya considers it to be non-planar. i play around with it. there are no vertices right on top of each other or anything misleading. it does "fix" it according to maya if i let maya fix it with tessellation. but that just adds unnecessary triangles. if anyone knows what's wrong or a better way to fix it, let me know. 🙏

https://youtu.be/MZWP-u0j6gU

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: ghostlight_rei

You must be referring to the black areas that appear when you move a vertex or edge? that is normal because you are passing the tolerance of the Normals angle, so the mesh turns darker.Just leave that alone, your mesh looks fine.

To detect mesh problems use a selection constrain with F11

Message 3 of 3
brentmc
in reply to: ghostlight_rei

Hi,

All that means is the 4 vertices don't all lie exactly on a plane within the tolerance specified by poly cleanup.

In any organic quad mesh it would be very hard to avoid having some (slightly) non-planar polys IMO.

Adjusting the vertices of that quad will only end up making neighbouring quads non-planar which is Maya fixes them by splitting into triangles.

Basically, if the polys look ok then you can ignore it. (since Maya doesn't have away to specify the tolerance used for non-planar polys)

Brent McPherson
Principle Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report