Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maya.exe - Bad Image Qt5Widgets.dll, Error status 0xc0000020

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
kay
Explorer
7467 Views, 22 Replies

maya.exe - Bad Image Qt5Widgets.dll, Error status 0xc0000020

Maya 2017 will not start and I get the following error, see attached image.  Qt5Widgets.dll is showing zero bytes.   I'm running Windows 10 Pro.  Something appears to be replacing this one dll required for Maya to run.  I updated to the latest version, Update 4 and it started working again then but it stopped again the following day with the same error.  I only have Maya 2017 installed.

maya.exe.bad image.png

Thanks for your help.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
sean.heasley
in reply to: kay

Hi @kay

It looks like the dll got corrupted somehow so you may want to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya.

This should remove the corrupted dll as well as any other files that may have been damaged/corrupted.

Once you are sure that all the files and Autodesk/Maya folders have been deleted, go ahead and reinstall Maya.

Let me know if this works or if you need any more information!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 23
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @kay

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

I'm having this exact same error. 

I did a uninstall and reinstalled. I could work for the rest of the night, but this morning the same error is thrown.

I'm going to try another reinstall, but this is not workable long term. It will kill at least 2 hours with having to go through all updates up to 4.

-=S

Message 5 of 23
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Since the dll file is causing an issue by doing the uninstall/reinstall it should remove every single file and folder related to Autodesk/Maya.

After you follow the steps for a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya, be sure to check your hard drive and documents folder to make sure every Autodesk and every Maya folder has been completely removed.

Once you've done that go ahead and reinstall Maya and we'll see if that solves your issue!

If it doesn't work let me know and we can troubleshoot further!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 6 of 23
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 7 of 23
tjwhitzer

Thank you Sean!

This seems to have fixed the issue for me. I was not able to get Microsoft install/uninstall fix-it to work, and I wasn't sure what files in the temp folder to delete. I used a disk clean-up and deleted the items in the temporary folder. 

Have a great day!

Tom

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

Hi,

I am also having this issue. Maya will not start. I have tried the uninstall/reinstall method. Once that is done the program will only launch once. After that I get the corruption error and have to do it all again. I even did the clean uninstall and reinstall with the same results. I just don't understand how all of a sudden things like this happen. Any further help would be appreciated.

Jason

Message 9 of 23
tjwhitzer

j-watt, 

I completely agree. It is weird that the problem came out of nowhere. I didn't even update Maya, unless the issue came from a recent Windows 10 update. 

The way that I fixed it was by uninstalling Maya 2018, then going into the files below to make sure that there were no Maya 2018 files in them. 

• C:\Program Files\Autodesk\
  • C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\
  • C:\Users\All Users\Autodesk\
  • C:\Users\**YOUR USERID**\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\
  • C:\Users\**YOUR USERID**\AppData\Local\Autodesk\

I then, 

• Open My Computer
  • Right-click the system drive, and then select Properties
  • On the General tab, click Disk Cleanup
  • Scroll down in the Files To Delete list, and then select Temporary Files.
  • Click OK, and then click Yes to confirm deletion.
  • Close the system drive Properties dialog box.

cite: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/delete-temporary-files-using-disk-1.html

I installed Maya 2018 normally. Once the install is done the installer will ask you if you want to Launch Now the program. I did that to make sure it opened. It worked for me. I also made sure the program opened several times to make sure. 

I hope this helps you. I believe I also restarted my computer after uninstalling Maya 2018, I don't see that contributing to it working for me, but I figured I would mention it. Sorry for the wordy response.

Best, 

Tom

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

I appreciate your response. I will give that a try. One thing to note that I discovered before I had to quit. I copied all the .dll files from the directory the error message shows that was corrupt after I did a reinstall before I launched the program so I knew they were fresh. I put that copy on my desktop so I could easily access them once I opened maya and they would get corrupted. Funny thing is, once I made the copy maya was launching correctly. I will see what happens tomorrow but it opened fine like 6 times in a row.
Message 11 of 23
tjwhitzer

Interesting, if the error comes up again for me, I will try that method. Thank you!

Message 12 of 23
sean.heasley
in reply to: tjwhitzer

Thanks @tjwhitzer for coming back with more information and trying to help @Anonymous

@tjwhitzer is right and when you perform the uninstall/reinstall you need to check your hard drive(s) for any and all Autodesk or Maya folders and make sure they're deleted.

Although it's really interesting that it was working after making the copies of the dll files.

You do have the right steps in mind though so I'm looking forward to hearing back from you and hopefully seeing this issue resolved Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 23
tjwhitzer

Hey, 

An update on my end. I am getting the same error message on startup again. I will try j-witt's method.

best,

Tom

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

It seems to not be a work around like I posted. I started getting the error again. Only thing I can suggest is keeping a copy of the good .dll files on your desktop so when the error occurs you can simply copy the good .dll files back into the corrupted folder and over write them all. That will keep you from having to do a reinstall. That method works every time.
Message 15 of 23
tjwhitzer

Thank you, I will give this ago!

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: tjwhitzer

I've just started getting the same Bad Image error listed above using Maya 2011. It started a few days ago with DAZ 4.9. On their forum it's was suggested that the problem was being caused by McAfee corrupting the DLL's and for DAZ it was suggested that after doing a re-install to put DAZ.exe in the McAfee exception folder.

Since I am a McAfee user I tried this for DAZ and it seems to be working. I'm just wondering how many of you that are having this problem with Maya are also using McAfee.

Message 17 of 23
sean.heasley

Hi all!

@Anonymous makes a great point!

While it's great that you found a specific issue related to McAfee which you use, it is a possibility for everyone that their anti-virus or firewall could be blocking Maya and or causing issues.

Therefore I highly recommend that you make sure that Maya is allowed by your anti-virus/firewall so we can make sure that isn't causing the issue!

Message 18 of 23
tjwhitzer

Sadly, I did this method and I am still getting the same error. I was getting this error a while back and I was getting frustrated, so I didn't try to fix it till now. I am still having no success. Has anyone found another method to fix this error? 

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

Unfortunately not. I decided to just upgrade to 2018 and it’s been fine so far.
Message 20 of 23
sean.heasley

Hi @tjwhitzer

I've been seeing this issue pop up more and another potential fix could be to manually download the dll file and place it in the folder.

It's also possible that if you look at the startup items in msconfig. There's may still be a reference to mbam there. If you remove it, that should stop the error.

Let me know if anything changes!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report