Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2024 python issue (macOS)

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Epicurian6
4044 Views, 18 Replies

Maya 2024 python issue (macOS)

After installing latest  python3 with pip for pymel which works great in Maya 2023 I now get an error in Maya 2024 on macos:

# Error: line 1: OSError: file /Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pymel/internal/parsers.py line 790: Cannot find maya documentation. Expected to find it at /Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/docs/Maya2024/en_US

Im unable to run python. This is a total showstopper. What can be done to fix this?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
nelsoncruz
in reply to: Epicurian6

looks like Pymel is the issue here.  We are looking at this on our end to see if a quick solution can be found.  If you need to run Maya you can remove pymel
mayapy.exe -m pip uninstall pymel

Nelson Cruz
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 19
nelsoncruz

Quick solution here is to generate the already made pymel cache files from the previous versions

if you go into your /Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pymel/cache

you can duplicate and rename the the files for 2024.
ie mayaCmdsList2022.py --> mayaCmdsList2024.py

Looks like it has worked for a few other user sin the community.

Nelson Cruz
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 19

I was try to do this solution and nothing happened the error its in another python file:

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pymel/internal/parsers.py

I was try to replace the parsers file from 2023 in 2024 version and nothing
also try install from terminal the pymel new version and nothing.

Message 5 of 19
paulgaitanos

I'm getting the same problem from everyone else I've spoken to who is trying out Maya 2024. mGear is entirely written with pyMel, so if that's unable to install then I'm not sure what to do for our pipeline.

Message 6 of 19
Epicurian6
in reply to: nelsoncruz

I tried copying the cache files over already and it doesn’t work for me 😕

Message 7 of 19
paulgaitanos

I spoke with some other people. Until I can get ahold of someone from Luma pictures and ask.

in your pymel Cache folder copy and rename

mayaApi2022 (or 2023)
mayaCmdsDocs2022
mayaCmdsExamples2022
mayaCmdsList2022

let me know if that works for you!

Message 8 of 19

1. Open this path

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pymel/cache
2. duplicate this files
mayaApi2023
mayaCmdsDocs2023
mayaCmdsExamples2023
mayaCmdsList2023 
3.Rename the duplicates
mayaApi2024
mayaCmdsDocs2024
mayaCmdsExamples2024
mayaCmdsList2024
4. Open Maya and write a code to test.
from pymel.core import *
pm.polyCube()

Working perfect

Message 9 of 19
Epicurian6
in reply to: paulgaitanos

The solution works! Thanks 🙏 

Message 10 of 19

I cannot find the path to this

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2024/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pymel/cache

How do find this path? (Im on a Windows PC)

Ah found it here:
\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\Lib\site-packages\pymel\cache

Did not work for me

Message 11 of 19
warnold1
in reply to: Mike_Isaakidis

if you used mayapy to install pymel, the pip show command should show where it is installed

mayapy -m pip show pymel 

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 12 of 19

Here there are some methods for install pymes inside terminal 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-2AA5EFCE-53B1-46A0-8E43-4CD0B2C72FB4

Message 13 of 19
Mike_Isaakidis

Thanks for the response guys.
Unfortunately I'm still struggling. 
I  copy and renamed the files just like you guys said. 
It didnt work. 
I Managed to install pimel-1.3.0 with a warning that its not in PATH (not sure what that means).
I installed it in my C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2024\bin
After that I tried launching Maya 2024 but it gets stuck on the loading screen and crashes. 

command1.JPG

3.JPG

Message 14 of 19
koboJFSKQ

I installed pymel with administrative permission, into C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2024/Python/Lib/site-packages.
Then I copied and renamed the files under C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2024/Python/Lib/site-packages/pymel/cache as below:
mayaApi2023.py -> mayaApi2024.py
mayaCmdsDocs2023.py -> mayaCmdsDocs2024.py
mayaCmdsExamples2023.py -> mayaCmdsExamples2024.py
mayaCmdsList2023.py -> mayaCmdsList2024.py
It's working so far.

If your pymel installation is done with administrative permission, changing destination path from user's folder as you did to Maya2024 installation folder as I did, might solve the problem.

Message 15 of 19
Mike_Isaakidis
in reply to: koboJFSKQ

ok tried to install pymel to the path you pointed at
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2024/Python/Lib/site-packages
using this command: 

mayapy -m pip install pymel

The answer I got was:
'mayapy' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

command2.JPG

Was that the command you used?

However!

What worked was copying the entire pymel folder from Maya 2023 to Maya 2024 and then copying replacing those files.

Thanks for your help!

Message 16 of 19
koboJFSKQ

Run mayapy command from C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2024/bin as Maya's Online Help says:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-2AA5EFCE-53B1-46A0-8E43-4CD0B2C72FB4

"To install PyMEL, change directory to where mayapy is installed, and then run pip install pymel."

Message 17 of 19
stigla
in reply to: koboJFSKQ

As usual it is needed to install accurate version of pymel, not always the latest one.
Which version of pymel is needed for maya 2024 ?

Thanks

Message 18 of 19
paulgaitanos
in reply to: stigla

I spoke with someone from Luma pictures. It looks like a person from the dev team will be working on pyMel for 2024, however it will no longer be bundled with Maya's installation. It will have to be installed through pip. They acknowledge it may hurt pyMel's visibility a bit but that's okay since they won't be directly tied to Autodesk.

So pyMel isn't going anywhere, and it does work. Just the cache installation's will take a little while to fix when the team actually gets to it. Meanwhile the current methods above seem to be working, AD hasn't changed python so there shouldn't be any issues with pyMel from Maya 2023.

I hope this clears up any confusion. If I find anything more out I'll let you know, in the meantime on Luma's GitHub, Autodesk has already placed a request to fix this problem. So just give it time, 2024 literally just came out and it always takes a few months for everything else to catch up.

Message 19 of 19
stigla
in reply to: paulgaitanos

Thank you for the reply.
Thanks to Luma pictures as well.
I would love to actually see pymel fully installed with Maya,
but hey, the less tools inside Maya we have it's better for everyone.
Or not ? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report