Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2023 weird boolean behaviour

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
davidSFL
1025 Views, 2 Replies

Maya 2023 weird boolean behaviour

Hi, 
So i noticed some weird boolean behaviour in maya 2023 / 2023.1. 
Difference Boolean in particular.

So when i perform a difference boolean, it works as i expect, the issue starts when trying to clean up the operation. 

2 things happen.

- The Shading Group gets disconnected.
The shader turns green as soon as i perform any further operations on that mesh, such as  connecting or welding verts for example. This gets pretty annoying very fast, when performing lots of operations during a modeling session. 

1.jpg2.jpg

- I dont know what happens exactly, but when connecting vertices on the boolean object, maya does a bunch a weird connections by itself. Something that did not happen in older version of maya.
This way, cleaning up a boolean mesh becomes a lot harder than it should be.
This happens even after freezing transforms and deleting history on that object! 

The red line indicates the connection i did. The rest is what happens once i hit connect components. 

3.jpg4.jpg

As an addition to that, maya also seems to disconnect shading groups on bridged faces at times. 
The green faces are faces created with the bridge operation.
5.jpg

I guess both these behaviours are not intended, as they havent been present in older versions, and they make no sense to me. 
Maybe someone can elaborate on that.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcginnc
in reply to: davidSFL

Hi David - Ok so the model looks like a cube with 2 extrudes and you've used cylinders to cut out the cube. Assuming that you deleted history? What are your settings for the cleanup tool? I haven't been able to reproduce this. Thanks, Catherine

Catherine McGinnis
Maya Quality Assurance
Message 3 of 3
davidSFL
in reply to: davidSFL

Hi Catherine, Thanks for your reply. 

I didnt use the cleanup tool.
I cleanup manually most of the time.

As for reproducing, here are the steps i took:
1. open a new scene

2. create a cube

3. extrude 2 times , so you get the gun-like shape.

4. create a cylinder

5 doublicate the cylinder

6. place both cylinders and combine

7. delete all history

8. perform difference boolean a-b

9. delete all history

10. perform an extrude on the "gun"
At this point the shading group should get disconnected, which in fact it does not while i test this again right now.
So this might have been a scene related issue. 

however,
11. after the extrude (Step 10) select 2 verts, one from the cylinder cutout shape, and one from the "cube-gun".
A bunch of useless edges should appear on the mesh, connecting random verts, kinda destroying the mesh in the  process. 
^This i can reproduce all day. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report