Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2019 educational version crash on start up

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
851 Views, 13 Replies

Maya 2019 educational version crash on start up

Maya will crash very soon after is starts up. It attempts to save the file, then moves on to the error report (images below). I have filled out few of the error reports, after trying various troubleshooting tricks. 

Troubleshooting attempts have included

- rebooting

- clean uninstall x2

- updating driver software

- restarting the Flexnet (suggested in a previous forum post, 03-31-2019

After the clean uninstalls Maya will open about 1 in 3 tries for about 24 hours. After that Maya will not open at all. All help welcome. Many thanks. 

Image_01.JPGImage_02.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
warnold1
in reply to: Anonymous

did you record the CER number that was returned when you submitted the CER report.  would help to find why Maya is crashing.

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: warnold1

Heya Wayne,

Good call, sorry I didn't put that in the above message. I repeated the process and got this code. 

CER_204781493

-Ian 

Message 4 of 14
warnold1

the CER report was a bit truncated.  the top level crash is in nvopencl.dll    there is a thread that looks like it may be part of the Intel OpenCL driver.   

its possible the the order of the OpenCL drivers on the system are causing a conflict.  the enumeration order may be affected by un-installing/re-install drivers

there are a number of threads here on OpenCL crashes on startup.

the simplest is to disable use of OpenCL with environment variable  MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1

but then one doesn't get to have the advantages of OpenCL in the app.

one can check the Windows registry to see what drivers are enumerated and in what order.
this link has a posting on how to enable/disable specific OpenCL drivers.   if there are 2,   only really need to have one in this case most likely just use the Nvidia driver.    disable the Intel driver from the enumeration

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35230731/how-to-disable-registered-opencl-platforms-on-windows

the Khronos link  https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/sdk/2.0/docs/man/xhtml/cl_khr_icd.html

has the following section.    when you check the registry see if disabling the Intel driver (1) helps.   this is easily undone if needed

ICD Loader Vendor Enumeration on Windows

To enumerate Vendor ICDs on Windows, the ICD Loader scans the values in the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors. For each value in this key which has DWORD data set to 0, the ICD Loader opens the dynamic link library specified by the name of the value using LoadLibraryA.

For example, if the registry contains the following value

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors]
     "c:\\vendor a\\vndra_ocl.dll"=dword:00000000

then the ICD will open the library "c:\vendor a\vndra_ocl.dll".

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Thanx for your help so far. 

If I understand this correctly, I need to disable one of the drivers in the registry. Specifically the Intel driver. 

How to do accomplish is where I would like a bit more help. Am I removing the "IntelOpenCL64.dll" from my computer, or am I changing the value in the Data column to disable it/set its loading priory. (see image)

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Reposting  image. 

Priorty.JPG

Message 7 of 14
warnold1

Not removing anything. Changing the value from 0 to 1

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

SCORE!

Thank you so much for you help. So far, Maya has continued to open every time 3 times in a row! Ahhh that feels good. 

I changed the value of the IntelOpenCL64.dll from 0 - 1, and restarted the computer. Maya now continues to work. Should this discontinue to work, I'll be in touch. 

ValueChange.JPG

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Well that was short lived....

After letting my computer run for a while longer, I opened Maya again and the problem still persists. I submitted another error report. 

CER_204854353

Message 10 of 14
warnold1

the CER is pointing to the same call stack.

is it possible to update to latest version of 2019.   2019 update 2 ?

did the registry setting get reset back ?

one can use the environment variable  MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1   in the file Maya.env  to disable use of OpenCL

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, I'll work to get Maya 2019 update 2. 

No, the registry has not been reset. 

After updating to Maya 2019 update 2 and if the crash is still happening I will try changing "the MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1   in the file Maya.env  to disable use of OpenCL"

Thanx for your help so far. 🙂 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I added the "MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1" to the Maya.env. and Maya still crashes.

I have not installed the Maya 2019 Update 2 yet, I'll be trying that as soon as it has completed downloading. (download still has 2 hours left)

Error Report #

CER_204990309

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Update on progress, image below. 

Maya has been updated to Maya 2019 Update 2

"MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1" Has been added to the Maya.env file.

Registry is set as before. 

Maya opens, and I will try again later today to see if it still works. 

Until then, I would like to know what features are no longer available when I set MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1?

Variables set..JPG

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

After about 24 hours, I am still able to open Maya. 

I would like to know, what features are disabled when using the "MAYA_DISABLE_OPENCL=1" flag in the Maya.env file?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report