Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 Update 1 DG animation still broken

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
arcon76
1861 Views, 15 Replies

Maya 2018 Update 1 DG animation still broken

2018.1, DG animation is still broken as it was in 2017. This happens with Viewport 2.0. However because Legacy viewport has been removed in 2018 there is now no workaround.

It is an intermittent fault which can be frustrating to reproduce, sometimes in the attached scene scrubbing in the timeline the keyed joints do not update in the viewport. I am trying to nail down particularly when it happens and will update.

Hi @arcon76 your title 'DG animation still broken - 2018.1' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: arcon76

MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT=1

Cheers,
Mike

Message 3 of 16
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @arcon76

While it's a workaround @Anonymous is correct and you can change the environment variable to "MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT=1"

This should allow you to work with the legacy viewport and get around this issue.

Please let me know if this helps or if this workaround does not work for whatever reason I'll help however I can!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 4 of 16
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @arcon76

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with this. Did the steps to enable Legacy Viewport that @Anonymous and I provided help resolve your issue?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 16

Ok. So I'm having the same problem. Not the first time either. 

however when I try to:

"MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT=1;"

I get:
// Error: MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT=1; //
// Error: Line 1.30: Invalid use of Maya object "MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT". // 

So in effect, I have a deadline on tuesday, and maya doesn't let me animate stuff in my scene... PLEASE HELP!!!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: mikael.ovesson

First reset your preferences. Then restart Maya.

If your issue is resolved at any point, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

It's an environment variable not a MEL command.

You need to place this in your maya .env file located in MyDocuments

Cheers

Message 8 of 16
sean.heasley

Hi @mikael.ovesson

@Anonymous summed it up perfectly.

You need to navigate to your Documents->Maya->Maya 2018 then open the Maya.env file and paste the text there.

Then you should be all set!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 9 of 16

Wow.

You plan to fix this bug, right? Like, in the next patch?

Animation is nowadays sort of the only reason we're still using Maya. And if we can't even rely on that... Smiley Frustrated

(Not because of lack of features, but because of lack of stability and reliability)

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

@mikael.ovesson

Maya was developed to be a tool with the broadest range of features in mind. Designed to accommodate all the needs of a large 3D production team. As such it is an excellent package. Having said that, do keep in mind that Maya is not a tool that specializes in Animation. There may be professional tools on the market that specialize in Animation and offer functionality that do not fall or are included in the scope of what Maya was originally conceived for. Maya is not meant to be a replacement for such highly specialized professional tools.

If your issue is resolved at any point, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 11 of 16
mikael.ovesson

I've been working professionally with Maya for 15 years. Doing everything from TV commercials to feature film VFX. I know very well what Maya is and what it isn't. I also know there are better tools for everything except animation out there, so far. 

I don't like to tear my hair every single day because things are not working as they should. I don't like to see our employees doing it either. And missed deadlines and constant workarounds are not good for either business nor employee health. It's not sustainable. So unless things change, we'll have to find other solutions. That's all I'm saying. 

Message 12 of 16

Hi @mikael.ovesson

There is a fix in the works for this with our dev team but unfortunately at this time I'm not liable to say what the time frame on when this issue will be fixed.

That said, does enabling legacy viewport work as a workaround for you and this issue?

Message 13 of 16

No, actually this didn't solve the issue. I still cant key any attributes on a redshift material. 

It seems to work fine to key the translate attribute on a cube though. 

In the attribute editor the attribute becomes light pink instead of dark red on frame that has the keyframe. 

Not sure what this means exactly. 

Message 14 of 16
mspeer

Hi!

Please set Evaluation Mode to "DG" instead of "Parallel" (in Preferences ) then it should work.

Message 15 of 16
mikael.ovesson
in reply to: mspeer

Ah, that did the trick. Thanks. 

Message 16 of 16
mikael.ovesson
in reply to: mspeer

Actually, no. Well that particular thing works now, but now a whole lot of other animations in the scene broke instead... 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report