Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 freezing when click+drag selecting, even with empty scene.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1484 Views, 8 Replies

Maya 2018 freezing when click+drag selecting, even with empty scene.

Hello!

I'm using Maya 2018 on my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro and have noticed that the program freezes when clicking and dragging to select objects. This even happens when no objects are in the scene in a brand new file.  The selection box appears, then the screen freezes.  I can add objects to the scene but they aren't visible, the scene is just frozen with the marquee box.  Eventually the program crashes. The issue happens with and without using the pen. Windows 10 is up to date as well.

Everything seems to run smoothly unless I select objects by clicking and dragging the marquee box.  I can reproduce the problem repeatedly. Wacom advertises this product as being able to run Maya so I'd hope it isn't a hardware compatibility issue.

Thanks for any help here,

-Audrey

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

You'll want to check your GPU drivers and make sure they match up with our certified hardware list.

You can find our certified hardware list here!

If that doesn't help, you may want to try changing your rendering engine.

rendering_engine.png

Finally, if none of those work you can try a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya and try deleting your settings/preferences.

Please let me know if any of this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Now it seems to not be happening after opening Maya again after a couple of days with no changes on my part of course.  It did crash at first with an error in the output window like "fatal error: unable to save file (path)". I'll see if the selection thing happens again and keep you posted, thank you!!

Message 5 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Hmm that's unusual. I'm glad you're up and running again but yes by all means let me know if this occurs again so we can try and figure it out!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

It did happen again! I was able to find the crash log if that helps.

Message 7 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for attaching the crash log!

It looks like its pointing to a lot of dll files. I'd recommend you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya.

Once you've done that and reinstalled Maya, be sure to delete your settings/preferences and then launch Maya to see if this occurs again.

Message 8 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I know this is an old post, but--

I had exactly the same problem, on my Wacom MobileStudio 13.

I switched the rendering engine as Sean recommended, and IT WORKED.  I've had no problems since.

I switched it to DirectX.  I don't know if the other settings would work as well.

so for me, this problem is resolved.

Thanks Sean, and thanks forum

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report