Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 freezes at launch

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
SharkbaitCG
1946 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2018 freezes at launch

Hi people, I recently installed the student version of Maya 2018 and I have noticed that it has started to freeze once I launch it. It opens up, but once it has opened, it stays frozen and I can't move around in the workspace or click any buttons (can't even exit the program unless I end it from the Task Manager). Sometimes I'll get lucky and it runs, but most of the time (maybe 9/10 times) it stays frozen.

I saw another post about this, but it hasn't helped me since they found out the issue was due to having the hypershade or Maya's main window open up on a seperate screen, but I haven't been opening it up on a second screen.

I've already tried uninstalling Maya 2018 and reinstalling thinking it was an installation problem, but it still does the same thing. I've also gone as far as uninstalling every Autodesk program (even removed files in the file explorer for a fresh download/install) and that hasn't worked either. 

Anybody else have this problem and/or have a solution for it?

I'm using Windows 10 on my 2013 Razer Blade Pro laptop.
My processor is an Intel Core i7-4700HQ,  I have 16GB of RAM, and GeForce GTX 860M (with up-to-date drivers)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: SharkbaitCG

Hi @SharkbaitCG and welcome to the community!

Your 860m is not on our certified hardware list so its possible that may be causing the issue.

Have you used Maya in the past on this machine?

Also, did you install Maya with administrator privileges?

Finally, you may want to check to make sure Maya isnt being blocked by your firewall/anti-virus.

Steps to do so can be found here!

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 15
SharkbaitCG

Hi @sean.heasley,

Yes I am still having the freezing issue.

I used to have the student version of Maya 2016 on here and that ran fine until I got Maya 2018. I had Maya 2016 installed when I installed Maya 2018 as well, and that started giving me the same freezing problem on the 2016 version. What I ended up doing, was uninstalling everything from Autodesk (Autodesk Desktop App, Maya 2016, Maya 2018, Mudbox 2016, as well as all of their program files in my file explorer) and reinstalling software (I only reinstalled the Autodesk Desktop App and Maya 2018). And I did install them with administrator privileges. Maya and Autodesk also aren't blocked by my firewall/anti-virus. But so far, I still get the same freezing error.

I did think that maybe it was because of my GeForce GTX 860M graphics hardware (your certified graphics hardware jumps from GeForce GTX 760 to the GeForce GTX 980). I did notice in the output window that Maya does choose my 860M for the graphics, so I figured that should've been fine and Maya 2018 does run sometimes. But if that really is the cause of the problem, then I'm out of luck because I can't really easily change my graphics on my Razer laptop.

Message 5 of 15
SharkbaitCG

Oops, I made a mistake comparing my GTX 860M in-between the GTX 760 and GTX 980. It could be because my graphics card is slower than those versions. But, I also noticed that the GTX 750M and GTX 775M work to run Maya 2018 on a Mac. So you would assume that maybe my GTX 860M should work to run Maya (I'm on Windows though). I'm not really sure, but maybe my graphics card really is the problem.

Message 6 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Hmmm ok.

When you launch Maya, are there any noticeable errors in the Output Window?

If so, could you please post them here so I can take a look at them.

If there aren't any issues, can you please try uninstalling 2018 then reinstall 2016. I'd like to see if the freeze still happens on 2016 when 2018 isn't installed.

Please let me know how that goes for you!

Message 7 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 8 of 15
SharkbaitCG

This is what I get inside the Output Window in Maya 2018:

Initialized VP2.0 renderer {
Version : 2016.11.35.12. Feature Level 5.
Adapter : GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2
Vendor ID: 4318. Device ID : 1046
Driver : .
API : OpenGL V.4.6.
Max texture size : 16384 * 16384.
Max tex coords : 32
Shader versions supported (Vertex: 5, Geometry: 5, Pixel 5).
Shader compiler profile : (Best card profile)
Active stereo support available : 0
GPU Memory Limit : 2048 MB.
CPU Memory Limit: 15486.5 MB.
}
OpenCL evaluator is attempting to initialize OpenCL.
Detected 2 OpenCL Platforms:
0: Intel(R) Corporation. Intel(R) OpenCL. OpenCL 1.2 .
Supported extensions: cl_intel_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_d3d11_sharing cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_dx9_media_sharing cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_icd cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_spir
1: NVIDIA Corporation. NVIDIA CUDA. OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 9.1.84.
Supported extensions: cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_icd cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_nv_compiler_options cl_nv_device_attribute_query cl_nv_pragma_unroll cl_nv_d3d10_sharing cl_khr_d3d10_sharing cl_nv_d3d11_sharing cl_nv_copy_opts cl_nv_create_buffer
OpenCL evaluator choosing OpenCL platform NVIDIA Corporation.
Choosing OpenCL Device GeForce GTX 860M. Device Type: GPU Device is available.

00:00:00 776MB WARNING | node "MayaMultiplyDivide" is already installed
00:00:00 776MB WARNING | node "MayaClamp" is already installed
00:00:00 776MB WARNING | node "MayaGammaCorrect" is already installed
00:00:00 776MB WARNING | node "MayaCondition" is already installed
00:00:00 776MB WARNING | node "MayaReverse" is already installed

Also sorry for all the late replies, I've just been busy and haven't gotten the chance to be online as much.

Message 9 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Thanks for giving me that information!

It looks like your issue is similar to one found in this thread!

It looks like the best step to take is to clean uninstall all versions of Maya, restart your PC, then install Maya 2018 with new settings/preferences.

Please let me know if this works for you or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 10 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Message 11 of 15
SharkbaitCG

So I uninstalled Maya and deleted all the files I had for it in order to fully reinstall it. Then I restarted my laptop before I tried installing it again, and I am still getting the same issue. It still freezes at launch and I still have the same stuff poppping up on the Output Window...

I might try reinstalling 2016 to see if it doesn't give me the freezing issue.

Message 12 of 15
mspeer

Hi!

The Output Window is fine.

First check GPUs:

Disable only one, than only the other.

For NVIDIA not only the driver/version is important, also the settings (and keep in mind that you have a ...m(obile) card and not the desktop version)

Message 13 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: mspeer

Hi @SharkbaitCG

@mspeer makes some great points and you'll definitely want to make sure your onboard card is disabled and that only your GPU is being used.

That said, if you install 2016 please let me know how that goes for you or if the same errors occur.

Message 14 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @SharkbaitCG

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Any changes?

Message 15 of 15
SharkbaitCG

Hi guys,

So recently my user files had somehow gotten corrupted and I lost almost everything on my laptop and wasn't able to restore it or do a system recovery. Long story short, I ended up having to reinstall Windows as well as everything else I had in it haha.

I just recently reinstalled Maya 2018 again just to see if it had got any better (especially after resetting my whole PC). So far, I have opened Maya 2018 and it hasn't frozen at all every time I launched it, which is great. I think the whole problem was during installation. I noticed this time around that I got a notification saying my license was activated and the product was registered (which I hadn't gotten before, even with multiple reinstallation tries). I even got an email confirming that my product was registered. So maybe that could have been the problem?

My output window still looks similar to the one I have posted before where it finds two OpenCL devices, but chooses my NVIDIA graphics card. I also have a USB Monitor that I connect to my laptop, but I have it plugged in and connected to my laptop currently (the same way as I have had it before) and it hasn't given me launching issues with Maya 2018 so far. I think my Intel graphics device is used for that monitor (which could also be why Maya recognizes another OpenCL device). Although, I've never had problems with Maya while my USB Monitor was plugged in before, but it's still possible that it could have caused issues.

But yeah, I don't exactly know what the problem was, but ever since resetting my PC, installing it felt much smoother and it isn't freezing when I launch it so far.

I just wanted to say thank you to you both @sean.heasley and @mspeer for helping me out though!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report