Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 change language back to English

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
27558 Views, 20 Replies

Maya 2018 change language back to English

Hello. I recently opened maya 2018 and for some strange reason it is in Japanese now. I never changed the settings within maya to be in japanese. How can i reset it so its back to english??

Hi @Anonymous your title 'Maya changed language' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

You can find very easy steps to change it back to English here but I'll post the steps below as well:

To run Maya in English within a non-English OS environment (Windows):

1. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows Desktop, and select Properties from the drop-down list that appears.

Note: On Windows 7, right-click your computer name and select Properties, then Advanced system settings.

2. In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click the Environment Variables button.

The Environment Variables window appears.

4. In the User variables for <userlogin> section, click New.
  5. In the Variable Name text field, type: MAYA_UI_LANGUAGE
  6. In the Variable Value text field, type: en_US
  7. Launch Maya.

Note: If you later want to run Maya in Japanese/Simplified Chinese, you can set your environment variable value to ja_JP (for Japanese) and zh_CN (for Simplified Chinese) or remove the variable from the list of environment variables.

CAUTION: You must set the MAYA_UI_LANGUAGE environment variable via the System Preferences. Setting this environment variable in the Maya.env file does not affect Maya behavior.

Please let me know if this solves your issue or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 3 of 21
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you're still having trouble with this. Did the steps I provided to change the language help solve your issue?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

i'm not the original poster but i also have this issue and there is nothing wrong in my settings. i need to change it in the program itself. can you screenshot the tab and line item i need to click to manage preferences in english so i can mirror it on this one which is in only japanese please?

Message 5 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

There's no way within Maya itself to change the language settings, the steps I provided above is the process we recommend for changing the language of Maya. Have you had a chance to try all of those steps?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 6 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Just wanted to check in to see how things were going. Are you still having this issue?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

i did manage to get MOST of it back to english, but there are several
sub-menus from tabs that are only in japanese still so i have no idea what
to do next.
Message 8 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

That's very unusual. Can you please post a screenshot of this issue so I can get a better idea of what's happening?

A quick fix may just be for you to perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya this should completely nuke all Maya and Autodesk related folders/files and allow you to install normally and in English.

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 9 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Did the suggestion I provided yesterday work for you?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

here is one of the menus that is still not right, and i have no idea what it says or does. upper left corner

[cid:14f7b412-6b82-420b-bde5-94aae9e13081]
Message 11 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

There was no screenshot in your above post.

When you get a chance, can you please come back to the forum and manually attach the image to your post?

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

here it is

Message 13 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Hmm that's pretty unusual.

Did you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya like I suggested?

I believe there's some file being left behind that's causing the japanese to stay like that.

You also may want to try deleting your settings/preferences.

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

hi,

i did all that and reinstalled and the issue never resolved so i guess i will have to just deal with it

Message 15 of 21
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Is it still the same way with just a handful of menus showing Japanese?

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous

I can't believe that I have set the value of the environment variable. I even detected it in Maya's script editor. The result returned is also en_US, but Maya is still Chinese.

I'm working on window 10. I set the env in env file.

$s =`getenv "MAYA_UI_LANGUAGE"`;
// 结果: en_US //

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

Hi,

I have a similar issue, I applied all the steps above and it's still in simplified Chinese.

I have maya 2018 student version on windows 10

Message 18 of 21
support103

I have a solution, you can try, I tested in my laptop and it worked.

You go to Control Panel > Clock and Region > Region. And then go to Tab Administrative > click change system local

In here, you choose English (USA), Japanese (Japan), or Chinese.

And then restart the computer, Start Maya.

Done

Message 19 of 21
ignitetsnc
in reply to: support103

Thank you so much! This fixed it for me.

Message 20 of 21
Anonymous

Thanks working in 2019 version of Maya aswell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report