Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 broken viewport.

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3336 Views, 13 Replies

Maya 2018 broken viewport.

My viewport has been rather broke for the past two days as it will often display nothing and trying to resize it causes the screen to drag out whatever panel I've been resizing. The only time the viewport has been normal for me is when it's sized down to a small portion of my screen. I've updated all the drivers I can think of an I'm using a GTX 980m w/ intel I7 processor if it matters. The attached file is a gif of my problem.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

This is pretty unusual. I've seen some weird things happen with the viewport when tabs are moved but not the whole thing disappearing like your does in that gif.

Thank you for posting your GPU and CPU but when you get a chance, can you please post your full PC specs so I can make sure everything is compatible?

Steps to find your hardware specs can be found here!

Also has there been any recent changes to your machine that may have affected Maya? For example a large Windows Update has broken Maya in the past.

Let me know when you can and if anything changes!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

Thanks for the welcome!

I've attached the system information you've asked for. The only update that would seem relevant would of been a Windows update I had perhaps a week ago but otherwise I can't think of any update or new software that I've gotten recently that would have caused this problem. Also, the issue seems to be limited to Maya since other Autodesk products such as Motionbuilder have been working fine.

Message 4 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @handcookedtires

Thank you for posting your hardware specs! I don't see any immediate issues with your hardware configuration, I suspect it's most likely either a GPU driver or Maya issue.

The next step is to check if your system is using the officially supported GTX 980 driver, version 382.33. You may need to roll back to that driver if you have updated past it.

Here is how you can check your GTX 980 driver version number:

1. Open your Start Menu and type Device Manager
  2. Under the 'Display Adapters' tab right click your gpu and select 'Properties'
  3. Under the Details tab you will see Driver Version.

It's also possible that while you have updated your GPU drivers in the past, the old ones may still be hanging around causing this issue. So I'd recommend (as do Nvidia) uninstalling the old drivers before installing any new ones.

Nvidia have an article with steps on how to do so and can be found here.

Once you have completed the steps above download the Maya 2018 certified driver 382.33, install it, then check the version number repeating steps 1-3 above. If all is well then fire up Maya and check your viewport.

Please let me know if this resolved the issue, if not I’ll be happy to keep working with you.

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 5 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you need more help with your viewport. Did the steps I provided for updating your drivers yesterday help you at all?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Yes, just went through the process right now and rolling back my Nvidia driver worked. Thank you for the help.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem. Sadly the graphics driver you recommended is not compatible with my nividia graphics card. I have attached my computer specs and nividia graphic card information. Could you maybe recommend a driver version that I can try with my card?

Thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

We don't officially support your GPU so it may be tough to test driver versions like this. That said, you could try version 388.43 if it is compatible with your card.

Aside from that, you may also want to try changing your renderer to something different like Direct X.

To do this go to Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences, select the Display category. Set the Rendering engine to DirectX 11.

Please let me know if this works for you or if you need any more assistance!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Thank you so much for the fast reply!

Changing the rendering engine to DirectX worked perfectly! I am a beginner with maya so could you tell me if changing that will effect anything else? I am using Arnold for rendering and hope that this setting doesn´t effect anything.

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

Message 10 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

The biggest difference is that OpenGl is cross platform compatible. However if you're only working with one operating system and dont plan on opening your scene file on a Linux distro for example you shouldn't see any differences!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Hey.

I have a similar problem and a long time. I solved to switch it to the Directx11 Maya viewport,, works fine. When i'm moved to Maya in 2018 he discovered a few problems. For example on a curve I can not add a control point in Curve Point mode (yellow point) and make Inrert Konot for me it's important I often works with curves.

All these problems are caused by the disabling of Title Bar Maya, which I always hide to save space.

How can I solve this problem?

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hello @sean.heasley

I seem to experience the exact same issue, but clean installing the recommended driver doesn't work. I have a Geforce 940 MX. Do you have any tips for me?

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Update: I have de-installed all my Nvidia GeForce drivers which made maya run on intergrated graphics and now the issue is 'resolved'. I would however like maya to work with my Nvidia.

Message 14 of 14
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

The 940 isn't on our certified hardware so we can't guarantee you won't see any issues like this.

That said, since the card isn't on our list I'd recommend staying on the most up to date driver and make sure Maya is using your GPU and not your integrated card. You may also want to check to make sure there aren't any GPU settings that could be messing with Maya.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators