Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 Won't Stop Crashing!

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
Anonymous
30378 Views, 39 Replies

Maya 2017 Won't Stop Crashing!

I just installed Maya 2017 Update 1 on a BRAND NEW MACHINE (Specs Below). It continuously crashes when doing nothing more than clicking on different models in my scene. I LITERALLY can't get more than 3 minutes in before I crash! This is not HYPERBOLE THIS IS FACT!

I am new Maya, (not to 3D) and am already learning that Maya doesn't work properly when using dual monitors! Just try and open the Hypershade on the secondary monitor and custom dock windows where you want, IMPOSSIBLE! I can record this action if you need proof! Try and save over your custom workspace only to have it ignore everything you did and revert back even though you saved over! We are beta testing for Autodesk, I already beta test for another 3D software company, this is ridiculous! Maya DOES NOT SUPPORT DUAL MONITORS!

How can I be expected to work/learn this software when I can't go more than 3 minutes without a crash! How do I know if I have full support to call in? I didn't set this up, our IT department did so I have no idea what level I am at.

This can't continue or I will demand a refund as this is not functional software!

Here is my previous post where I was crashing with a DIFFERENT MACHINE!

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-shading-lighting-and/arnold-textures-not-rendering/td-p/6603550

I even attached my scene hoping for some assistance of any kind, NOTHING! The forums don't help, the software doesn't work, so frustrated right now!

Maya 2017 Update 1
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4 (8x)
Windows 10 64-Bit
32GB Ram
AMD FirePro W4300 4GB

39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40
cornelh
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Hey Lief,

I'm sorry to hear you are having that much trouble with Maya 2017 Update 1.  There might be some conflicts going on that are causing this issue.  I know that I'm currently running Maya 2017 Update 1 on a 3 monitor system with one monitor being a 4k monitor.  I don't get crashes at all.  I also don't create to many custom work spaces.  If all you are doing it moving the UI panels around to the way you like them, I don't see why that is causing a crash.  One issue might be that your are running a 3rd partly process on your system that is conflicting with the PYQT UI elements.  We have some issues with some of the Dell management and update software along with other motherboard (bloatware) that you can load to monitor drivers etc.. yet are not really necessary.

Please let me know if you would like to get a phone call and a possible teamviewer session so we can one on one trouble shoot the issues you are having with your Maya 2017 on your system.  As to your MtoA Arnold plugin issues, I would suggest updating your MtoA Plugin to the latest build via the SolidAngle website.  You can PM me your contact information so I can reach out to you.  I look forward to your reply, thank you. 

Message 3 of 40
Anonymous
in reply to: cornelh

Hello,

I spent yesterday trying to get Maya do the most basic things and failed, so today I can't spend as much time as I have to make up for lost work time on a SolidWorks project.

We are talking about different things. Let's start with crashes. After a system update, and now after an Arnold update (no notification via Maya about this?!?!) I am not crashing by simply clicking on my models. I haven't crashed this morning yet, but that is likely because I haven't had time to test Maya this morning (it's open but not being used) and have been setting up SolidWorks on this new computer. FYI it's a Gigabyte custom built system, not a Dell bloatware box.

The missing textures are also primarily fixed from the Arnold update, when I open my scene I now see the textures on all but one object. Before I saw only one texture while everything else was white.

The dual monitor issue. I have attached an image. On the left is the Hypershade window after I have customized the layout. This CAN NOT BE DONE ON MY SECONDARY MONITOR! It MUST be done on the main monitor. Here's what happens, note were the Viewport is, top center. It WILL NOT STAY THERE when I try and place it there it (or ANY other window) will snap down to the bottom left hand corner, sometime minimizing itself so you can barely see it as it only shows a title bar. I un-dock the viewport, dock it where I want, BAM INSTANTLY BACK TO THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER IT GOES!

Finally I found a post (not on Autodesk forums) stating how someone couldn't use their second monitor to customize things so I thought maybe this is my issue as well. Sure enough, I moved the Hypershade to my main monitor and BAM it stuck to the right place the first time! Moved it back over to secondary, same issue, will NEVER stay in the center, usually ends up in the bottom left, extremely frustrating.

Custom Workspaces, same thing. If I make them on the secondary monitor, then make a change like removing the scripting line or anything else and SAVE OVER the previous custom workspace, it won't take. I move everything to the main monitor, remove a couple ui elements save over the current custom workspace and it sticks. Pretty straight forward!

I can't call in today (but will Monday or Tuesday) as I lost all of yesterday fighting with the Maya software. As I have pointed out in the previous thread I am new to Maya, but in no way new to 3D design. It's just REALLY unfortunate to come to this program at such a terrible time (i.e. transitioning from one render engine to another). It INSTANTLY voids 90% of the learning avenues that are available, you can't follow along with Mental/V Ray tutorials with Arnold installed.

My 3D toolbox consists of about 7 different programs, this has by far been the worst introduction to what is touted as the leading software package. It feels like I am beta testing an introductory alpha. I really hope this changes immediately, or else I will simply tell IT to cancel the subscription as I won't have any use or time for this software. This is not to try and sound mean or "threatening" it's a matter of having a functional workflow.

-Leif
Message 4 of 40
cornelh

@Anonymous

Thanks for the feed back and giving me more information about your situation, and how your issue is manifesting itself.  I will look into the dual monitor with custom UI setups for you in our Defect repository to see if this is indeed an issue.  I know that for 2017 this is a completely new thing, as we used a different system for UI customization.  So Yes you moved to Maya at a huge transition point in which tons of things changed, just look at a "what's new, a person who used 2014 might not even recognize Maya 2017.  Menus had a revamp, Render Setup is new, Arnold is new, Work Spaces is new, we have a new Graph Editor and a new Material Editor, Mash Motion Graphics, XGen, Bifrost.. etc...  With all these new improved features, we do run into some occasional bugs, which with help from users like you, are identified, reviewed, and fixed as quickly as possible.  

Just to Clarify something, you have always been able to use Arnold, Vray, and Mental Ray, and other render engines in older versions of Maya.. the only difference is that we no longer ship with Mental Ray and now ship with Arnold MtoA..  Vray has always been a 3rd party plugin and it's use and integration has not varied that much from Versions of Maya.  What might be throwing you off is the use of "Render Setup".  FYI you still have access to the Legacy Render Layers which is what most of the online tutorials deal with.  Hopefully we can do a phone call and get you rocking stuff out Maya as you do in your other 3D apps.  

Have a great weekend, and best of luck in your projects.  I look forward to your reply on Monday or Tues.

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous

Well today is starting off like day one with Maya. Instant "Fatal Error" as soon as I clicked on one of my chopsticks. My exact steps are as follows.

1. Open Maya

2. Open my Maya scene.

3. Open the Hypershade.

4. Place Hypershade on secondary monitor.

5. Maximize Hypershade.

6. Within Hypershade Viewport, click on a single Chopstick.

7. Receive instant Fatal Error Crash!

-Leif

Message 6 of 40
cornelh

@Anonymous

Can you please PM me your phone contact information so I can give you a call, and do a teamviewer remote PC session so we can work this out one on one.  I definitely would like to help you with your issues here.  I look forward to your reply via PM. Cheers

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous

Did you ever solve your Maya stability issues?

Message 8 of 40
Anonymous

Hey Richard,

I did then didn't, then did again. Seems Windows AMD Drivers, and Maya really like to do battle with continuously needing updates.

This morning I couldn't use Maya for more than 10 minutes without crashing, "fatal error on save", no reports made. Then I got a notice about my AMD drivers having 2 updates (just updated a week ago). After that, Windows 10 said there was major update. After updating the two I started a new project and haven't crashed yet, about an hour and half in.

Are you on Windows 10? What are your machine specs and what type of crashes are you getting?

-Leif

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous

I'm having the exact same issues my Maya keeps crashing at random points and I have made a thread  no one has replied 😞

was hoping if I can get some answers here.

Is AMD conflicting with Maya 2017? If so how was it resolved?

Message 10 of 40
Anonymous

I'm also getting fatal crashes on Maya 2017 all the time.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate on an Alienware 15 machine, with a Nvidia GeForce 970M 3GB video card.

The screen is 4K but I must use a resolution of 1920 x 1080, otherwise everything gets too small.

I usually get the error "video card recovered from fatal error, etc, etc". Some other times it just crashes and I get windows blue screen.

Can someone help me please?

Thank you.

Message 11 of 40
Anonymous

I have the same problem

Message 12 of 40
Anonymous

Hi, I'm also have the same issue with Maya 2017.

I have an urgency because I'm working on a project and my deadline was a week ago.

My operating system is Windows 7 and as for graphic drivers, I have: Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M and Intel HD Graphics 4600

I recently restored my PC so I don not think there are virus in it for now.

Have someone worked it out?

Or can someone help please?

Thanks a lot!

Tags (2)
Message 13 of 40
PixelDeluxe

I've got the same problem here, I'm just doing some simple poly modelling, and I've had about 7 crashes today. Maya just seems to hang, no error messages or anything, it just stops dead. It's getting pretty infuriating! Even with Autosave on I'm losing time, all the time, let alone my prefs that I set along the way during use. 

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous

Hi sebjgee! I don't really remember how I fixed this.Try to import everything in a new scene then tell me if it worked.
Message 15 of 40
Anonymous

is there a fix to this yet the crashes are random mostly during hypershader ipr rendering uv editor. i love maya but maya 2017 has been the most buggy ver i have used

Message 16 of 40
Anonymous

Today it´s being a nightmare 

I m using Bifrost , and crashed every 10 minutes, frustrating.

Im started using 2017 just two months ago, and i really think it´s not working. Maya 2017 it´s the most inestable version so far. Im really looking forward for new update. !

Message 17 of 40
Anonymous

i havent tried bifrost out yet in 2017 

Message 18 of 40
Anonymous

Same issue. Regular freezes on Maya 2017. Using Bifrost.

Message 19 of 40
Anonymous

What is your system spec L.Buckley. bifrost seems to work ok for me and what are you doing when it crashes

Message 20 of 40
Anonymous

Windows 10 Home

Intel i7-6700

32 gb RAM

GTX Titan X

Freeze: using Bifrost Liquid emitter

two Collider polygon objects

decrease Master Voxel Size to 0.1

(with enabled: Bifrost options-->Enable Background Processing)

Press play.... 

Cursor runs across timeline then freezes.

In Windows Resource Monitor thread is frozen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report