Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 Update 4 Undo issue.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
772 Views, 8 Replies

Maya 2017 Update 4 Undo issue.

Maya 2017 sp4

I have to unfortunately work in this F'd pu version of Maya that some studios still use. And the Undo queue is.... you guessed it! F'd UP AGAIN!!!!

How many undos do I have to do to undo 1 action?

I am so SICK AND F'N TIRED OF THIS ****TY piece of garbage software that keep recycling bugs. Autodesk should have their developer license revoked. This is such a freaking waste of time. Sick of your crap and pretending your freaking care about user productivity. All you wan is money FOR NOTHING.

The hell with this crap.

Hi @Anonymous your title 'Maya How many Undos to undo?' was edited for clarity by @sean.heasley

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Sorry to hear your having issues with the Undo tool and I understand how frustrating it can be when our software isn't working how you want it to.

I'm not entirely sure what is happening that is causing your issue with the Undo tool.

When you get a chance, can you please explain in more detail what is happening and/or steps to reproduce your issue with the Undo tool?

Once I have the information I'll be more than happy to help troubleshoot and hopefully resolve your issue!

Please let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in to see if you're still having this issue? If so, can you please explain in more detail what is happening and/or steps to reproduce your issue with the Undo tool so I can help troubleshoot with you?

If your issue is resolved, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Sean,

I don't mean to be rude. You seem like a nice person that is trying to be helpful as much as possible.

I don't have the time to sit and discuss the circumstances under which Maya is not performing as expected. I need it to work when I have a lot of work to do under tight deadlines. I am a freelancer and I have to work in different versions of Maya all the time. Some versions I am familiar with  and some I an not. It depends on what the studios have upgraded to. However it has become impossible to take over a project in Maya and expect things to go even remotely smoothly. Which means that deadline are not met, project are compromised etc. Having issues like UNDOS not working as expected are just ONE of THOUSANDS of accumulated problems with Maya. If the Maya team did indeed fix this  (for good) there would be THOUSANDS of other bugs that also need fixing. It would require me to sit and talk to you and the developers on a FULL TIME basis about all the problems and how to replicate them. That is NOT my job. I am struggling to meet deadlines for relatively simple tasks in Maya because of the condition that Autodesk has reduced Maya to.

BTW, it turns out that the version of Maya used by the studio I am currently working with is 2017 update 3. Not update 4. Not that it makes ANY difference. It's not like I can convince them to upgrade. Or that I can recommend which version of Maya to upgrade to. Since all versions of Maya have serious combinations of bugs and issues.

The other thing that I encountered the other day that is new to me and is slowing me down ALL the time is the Hypergraph window. It is open and is minimized. When I use a hotkey to open it up IT DOES NOT OPEN. It just sits there minimized behind all the other windows. And I have to DIG AROUND for it. That as you can imagine is plenty of time wasted throughout the day. This is just a SMALL example of the THOUSAND of little problems that Maya considers "NON SHOW STOPPERS". But they are OBSTACLES that slow production down CONTINUOUSLY and IMMENSELY.

I am SICK and tired of writing little crappy Maya scripts to fix random stupid crap like this. Just to open Hypergraph windows etc.

Also Maya 2017 update 3 is crashing frequently with Maya nParticles and Fluids. What is the point of discussing this now? I have work to do NOW. I have deadlines to meet. I have a company that thinks that I don't know what I am doing. And that is a recurring story because of ALL the problems that Autodesk considers "NON SHOW STOPPERS".

It requires masochism to get by through the day working with Maya.

Maya is constantly kicking you when you are down after it has thrown you down.

I really hate this program. I have been using it since 2001. I have written thousand of tools for it. And I wish I never had.

Thank you for offering to help. I don't think you and I can do anything to help this rotting train wreck.

Message 5 of 9
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Sorry again to hear how badly your workflow is being affected by all of this. I used to work in production environments as well and I totally understand how frustrating it can be when you have a deadline and are worried about hitting it simply because of an issue with the software slowing you down.

That said, my goal here at Autodesk is to help the many users like yourself that are having issues that can cause massive slowdowns or delays in their workflow especially when being under strict deadlines.

I understand you must be incredibly busy working in freelance so it may be hard to find the time to come back and write posts about your issues and or looking for proper solutions, but if you can provide a bit more information or steps to reproduce your current issue or any others it allows me to quickly test and come back with a solution and/or workaround.

Another option that may help in the future for your workflow is to post on the Idea Forum for Maya. This is a great place that allows users like yourselves to post and vote for ideas and changes they'd like to see implemented and I know for a fact the dev team constantly checks this forum and looks to add the changes that users want to have.

For example one user @timdan was frustrated with the Save As tool so he created a thread on the Idea Forum and it has already climbed to the number one position!

While I know this might not be the solution you're looking for, and I apologize again that your experiencing so many issues with our software, I hope that this might clarify a bit what I can do to help and that with the resources I provided for you to voice your ideas for updates you'd like to see in the future was helpful in some way!

Please feel free to post back as I'd love to hear your feedback on this but also if you do have steps to reproduce your issues and/or screenshots/ videos etc I'd be more than happy to take a look at them and do everything I can to help you get past these issues so you can continue your hardwork!

Message 6 of 9
timdan

Dude, @Anonymous, in the amount of time you took to write out your diatribe of complaints against the software that's currently keeping you employed and food on your table, you could have written out some meaningful information that might have helped @sean.heasley, or the dev team find a solution to your issue. Instead, you're just venting. I get that, but it's not helpful and it won't change anything.

I, too, get frustrated with how many times I have to undo things to get to the "last" thing I thought I did. So... take @sean.heasley's advise: either write out some helpful details, or post a suggestion for the devs. I'd probably vote for it if it was a well thought out and constructive piece of feedback.

+ timdan

-
http://www.timdan.com
Message 7 of 9
sean.heasley
in reply to: timdan

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you're still having this Undo issue. When you get a chance, can you please post some more information and/or steps to reproduce the issue so I can help figure out what's happening and how to fix it?

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Ive run into this alot.    If you have Hypershade open, it looks like maya is cycles through Hypershade  and viewport undoing.   Uvlayout might even do this as well...       Its super super annoying and drives me insane. 
especially when the windows are minimized off on another screen.  

Maybe the undo should happen where the mouse is located, and or what window is active?  thats just me.  
let me know if this is helpful.    

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I can send more info if that wasnt helpful 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report