Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 crashes when opening dialogue box

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
3831 Views, 20 Replies

Maya 2017 crashes when opening dialogue box

Hello,

I have been running Maya 2016 over the past year and need to use Maya 2017 for a new school project. Maya 2017 has an issue for me that does not exist when I use 2016. When I try to open a file (file->open), Maya crashes. It seems to occur whenever a dialogue box is opened. Side by size, 2016 can do this just fine, but now 2017. Here are the solutions I have attempted:

When I get access to my computer, I will post a log of the stack that was output during one of my crashes. 

Several different errors have popped up when I have tried various fixes above. The main one is "Maya has stopped working" and it ends up closing when you hit ok. Another is "Maya is unable to save to *temp folder location*". 

I one time had success opening a file in Maya using the option to open using Maya instead of Native OS, but after closing Maya and trying again, it still crashed. 

Is there anything else that I could try? If I can't figure this out, I will have to drop my class, as I will be unable to do my homework.

EDIT: attached is the Maya stack from one of the crash failures.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Does anyone have any suggestions? A different way to install? Anything short of a clean install of Windows?
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I still can't get it to work. Any suggestions?
Message 4 of 21
laurence.cymet
Message 5 of 21
garyb1973

The way I solved the issue when my Dialogue box wouldn't import or open any files

1 windows

2 settings/preferences the click on preferences, you should then be prompted with a dialogue box

3 scroll down on the left panel till you see FILES/PROJECTS.

4 Scroll down to the section that says FILE DIALOG then click OSnative.

This solved my problem.

Message 6 of 21
matthias_bjarnason

Yesterday I update to version 3 (2017) and this started happening to me as well. Up until that moment Maya 2017 had been running fine (as far as that stretches) - at least it didn't crash on the open dialogs.

Any open/import dialog I try to open now instantly crashes Maya.

IMHO switching to OS native dialog IS NOT a solution to this problem.

- I've also tried cleaning out my Preferences (rebuild) - no change.

- Ran Maya in "vanilla" mode as well (none of our studio specific tools/plugins/environment variables set) - no change, same crash result.

- We're running Windows 10 here at the studio

- GTX Titan X

What's going on Autodesk?

Message 7 of 21
WindXu
in reply to: matthias_bjarnason

Hello,

Are you using a Dell machine when the crash happens? If yes, Dell recovery and backup tool could be the culprit. Please look at this page:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/On-some-D...

You can uninstall that tool or upgrade it to latest version.

If it is not a Dell machine, do you get a crash dialog when it crashes? If yes, could you please tell me the report id so that we can get the stack trace?

Thanks a lot.

Message 8 of 21

2 possible scenarios

a- as posted before if you are using DELL machine , you need to un-install any DELL backup apps

b-if you are using OS native along with file open from hotbox then its a known BUG Maya-79949

I assume you already removed your old preference for the sake of testing

Message 9 of 21
matthias_bjarnason
in reply to: WindXu

No, were not using Dell machines at our studio.

No, I'm not initiating the dialogs through "hotbox" ...just simply going to file...open/import.

There's no crash dialog, no stack trace to copy, sorry - Windows just goes "Maya has stopped working" ...and the only option is "Close Program", after which everything disappears (see attachment)

...and if any of those suggestions you proposed were true, I would have seen this issue a long time ago, after installing Maya 2017 the first time - right?. We've been using it since first release but this issue just surfaced yesterday after I updated to "release 3".

thanks.
-M

Message 10 of 21

going back the basics here

when you said "rebuilt my preference/"

1- Did you are-name / remove the entire 2017 folder and let maya make it from scratch  ? (not just prefs folder)

2- Anyone else in your studio having the same issue ?

3- Are you opening files from the local drive or a netwrok ?

I just tested win 10 with Maya 2017 update 3 and open a file on my local drive and it worked (using Quadro card) 

Message 11 of 21

Alright ... back at the studio.

So, to answer your questions.

1. I did both - had Maya rebuild only the "Prefs" and then I removed the "Maya" folder completely to have Maya rebuild that one as well. = same result, no difference.
2. I am setting up the first machine at the studio before "rolling out" the update for the other artists. All machines are identical (same model and specs) except for the graphics cards. Having this crappy Win update only feature is extremely inconvenient in this case. Linux and OSX installations are all "independent", meaning you can have multiple versions of Maya on each host, you can therefore install updates and easily roll back everyone is something breaks. For Windows ...you risk borking your installation completely with these updates and you waste valuable time re-installing everything to get back to operating state.
3. Maya crashes instantly as I envoke the open/import dialogs. There's no selecting files and opening anything - network or local ...just straight to crash.

In the meantime, it seems the only way to continue working and not wasting valuable time is to run the "OS Native" (as suggested above). But obviously that is by no means a fix to a serious problem, just a work-around.

until I find time to remove the Maya installation completely and install again without going through the Autodesk Desktop App, there's not much to add but I'll monitor the thread, in case some solutions pops up.

cheers!

Message 12 of 21

just looking at the stack trace from the first post

DBROverlayIconBackuped.dll!

DllUnregisterServer  

would indicate the Dell Backup and Recovery issue  >  as it was posted before the solution was to remove and DELL backup recovery apps installed 

if you would to go to your control panel under installed applications and type DELL > nothing will appear ? 

in the case of crash with no stack trace , it would be very good if you have Visual Studio available on the machine that has the problem,.   when the dialog  Maya has stopped working comes up.   do not close it.   launch Visual Studio and attach to the Maya.exe to get the stack trace.      

May be able to use Task Manager to obtain a mini-dump of the Maya.exe process that we could then examine to see where Maya is in the code

open Task Manager,   select Maya.exe   then right click  should be menu option to create mini dump

What Vr of Win 10 you are using  ? 

Message 13 of 21

Alright, so we have narrowed the problem down to user permissions.

After running Visual Studio to monitor the process under a "regular AD user" (since my windows computer is part of a company domain) all I get is:

"The program '[17388] maya.exe' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xc0000005) 'Access violation'."

...With the Call stack referring to the Qt5Core and Qt5widget libraries.

Running Maya as an "Admin" however, the problem does not manifest itself (see attached screenshot) - open dialog shows up fine (as it should) and Maya doesn't crash. So, this "solves" the issue at hand, but obviously should not be necessary in the first place.

This would also explain why most Windows users in here, who are running their setups as Admins/Local might not come across this issue and therefore haven't reported anything.

-M

Message 14 of 21
WindXu

Hi Matthias,

I probably know what's going on. This may relate to your mapped network drive. Could you please check whether you have a network drive mapped to a server root (without specifying a share), such as Z:\some_server. If there is, then it is an issue which has already been logged on our side. This is some regression introduced in Update3 because of a QT patch. If you disconnect that drive, Maya should not crash. 

Mapping a network drive to a server root actually is not a valid operation for Windows. "\\server_name" is not a valid mount point. You should specify a share for mapping like \\server_name\one_share_folder.

Please let me know if that solves your problem.

Thanks,

Wind

Message 15 of 21
Erelumnir_3D

Is this problem fixed because I have the same problem.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 21
bruce.cash
in reply to: Erelumnir_3D

I'm having the same issue here. My version seems to be alleviated after changing the file dialog option to "OS Native". That's not a fix its a work around, that option removes some functionality out of the program. Is there a fix yet? 

Message 17 of 21
garabon123
in reply to: bruce.cash

I am having a same issue.  It seems like it starts to happen right after I updated to "update 3" in my case

Message 18 of 21
john.deriggi
in reply to: garabon123

I also have this exact issue while having a cloud drive installed. Any solution yet? I also have Update 3 for Maya 2017 installed. Thanks!

John

Message 19 of 21
matthias_bjarnason

Just a follow up, to inform everyone interested.

....that the latest Maya 2017 Update 4 fixes all dialog crashing issues (at least the ones we were experiencing). Artists at the studio can now continue to run maya normally (not as Admin) and switch back from using 'OS native' dialogs to the Maya's default dialogs.

cheers!

Message 20 of 21
ece3k

I'm getting the same problem on 2018.  It wont stop crashing.  I can open .mb files with the application closed and then I go to the project file in explorer and then click on .mb file.  It opens fine.  But if I open Maya empty, then go to File Open it crashes before I can select anything to open.

Is there a fix for this?  I uninstalled/reinstalled, trashed prefs, ya da ya da.....nothing seems to work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report