Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

72 REPLIES 72
SOLVED
Message 1 of 73
arcon76
12968 Views, 72 Replies

Maya 2017 & Update 3?

2017 has a completely screwed Channel Box and Attribute Editor, among other window issues. They keep merging into each other sideways and vertically... sometimes unable to be resized etc. Its not practical to delete my preferences every few days. Autodesk needs to fix this and release either a GUI hotfix or Update 3 before February.

Also it might be an idea to START TESTING YOUR SOFTWARE. These are not user dependent issues with hardware etc - literally everyone you ask has noticed the mass of windows appearing & disappearing on startup and more funkiness as you work with the gui. It seems like Autodesk not only don't employ testers, but don't get the junior coders to open the software even once before releasing an update... which is pretty terrifying.

You can't release such a flawed UX now that you've forced people onto subscription model (the whole concept of which is to promote the latest releases). There will be a huge customer backlash if this keeps up.

72 REPLIES 72
Message 41 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: ashaiad6194

You dont need to do any specific step. It is just how maya 2017 behaves. Thats the whole problem every single user is having (among others).. dude you seem a bit lost.. :s

Message 42 of 73
arcon76
in reply to: arcon76

The Render View images are still blurry unless you resize the window. The whole of 2017 it has been like this...

Message 43 of 73
Kranos_Orphydian

My Arnold shelf   has dissapeared. Cant find it  via the load shelf or in the prefs > shelves folder. Renaming the prefs doesnt  bring it back. 

Message 44 of 73
rimcrazy
in reply to: Kranos_Orphydian

Could your Arnold shelf possibly got docked somewhere else?  With update 3 it is possible to do that.

MacStudio M2
128Gb, 4Tb
Sonoma 14.6.1
MacDisplay, Dell U3415W
Message 45 of 73
Kranos_Orphydian
in reply to: rimcrazy

can you undock a shelf ?  well even undocked it should  have been still visible in the  shelf editor.

Message 46 of 73
Anonymous
in reply to: Kranos_Orphydian

I didnt know you could undock a shelf either.. o.O mostly because they are not "docked" they are just tabs..

Message 47 of 73
Kranos_Orphydian
in reply to: Anonymous

yeah he was prolly  confused. You can undock the  whole panel with all the shelves but not a single tab. Anyway Ive been doing it in the drastical way: uninstaling and installin Arnold and the shelf is back. I allso didnt  know that the plugin isnt auto updating even its integrated in maya. They have released a update a couple of days ago.

Message 48 of 73
rimcrazy

I misrepresented what I was saying.  You can undock the entire shelf not one tab.  You can, for instance, park the shelf vertical along one side instead of having it over the viewport.  I didn't know that either but saw it on a new tutorial on Linda.com for 2017 ext 3 release.  I was just wondering if that might have been the issue as, at least before, me like everyone else, I was going nuts with the outliner docking itself into everything regardless if that is what I wanted.  I was going to post a WTF is going here post and then happened to read that lots of people were seeing the same thing.

So far, for me, in ext 3 at least, the crazy outliner docking and ghost windows has stopped but I have to say that what I'm working on are simple scenes and not complex at all.  Maybe it is not related to that but I'm not seeing some of the issues that others are seeing.  Still very, very frustrating.  Paying this kind of coin for such terrible problems.  IMHO they can keep the features... just fix the (*&)(#*&)(@#&$ bugs!  I want stability not features.

Everythings going heck in a handbasket lately.  I use Modo too and Foundry, in all of their infinite wisdom, redid their website (which I could care less) and their forum site (which I care a whole lot) to some new goofy UI.  Has to be seen to be believe.  Anyway the new forum has NO SEARCH.  NONE. NADA.  Their excuse is "oh  we will get to it."  ........ sorry.... ranting today.

I can't help with the missing shelf.  That one is a new one.

MacStudio M2
128Gb, 4Tb
Sonoma 14.6.1
MacDisplay, Dell U3415W
Message 49 of 73
Kranos_Orphydian

what do you think about the new UV editor UI ? I cant believe how drastical was changed and what is surprising me even more is that it trying to  mimic the 3ds Max one which it kinda scares me  and make me thing if they will not try to do with other Ui elements.  The previous one was  very  tightly packed  and organized and it didnt add even more  real estate  with unnecessary  extra panels ( the UV  toolkit) with the need to constantly  expand/collapse and scroll.

it the update notes they mention updated icons as well but I  still see  the legacy ones in the menus but besides the Arnold ones  and  a couple ones in the outliner it seems the   process of ditching the legacy icons is really slow for  some reasons that really slip me.

Message 50 of 73
arcon76

Message 51 of 73
Anonymous

I do not know what happens with Autodesk, Update 3 of Maya 2017 does not remedy almost anything. Now problems when extracting the uv, spend a good time ordering the layout and when I save, I closed and I returned to open my file, everything was a mess! I hope you do not think about launching the 2018 edition with this Maya 2017 madness !!! Subscribers already start fleeing to other 3D packages.

Message 52 of 73
Anonymous

I was already switching to Blender one month after adquiring maya 2017. The only reason i did not was because i still had hopes that the guys at Autodesk will behave with common sense and start fixing everything. The problem is, there are so many fails everywhere that even if they try, it will be almost impossible to fix half of em. I will wait a little bit to see update 4, but if things are still a mess, i will definitely migrate to blender or other 3d package. I mean, whats the point of throwing up so much money to have a 3d package that is worst than almost everything out there, even than Blender that is free... lol. I mean, its ridiculous if you think on it.

Message 53 of 73
Anonymous

For me, update 3 messed up maya even more lol. Unbelievable. One of the most annoying things, the uv editor. It is completely useless for me now. The uveditor window appear maximized far beyond my screen widht and i dont have any way to dock it, change size or watever. Amazing. Still, not improvements in VP 2.0, so many difficulties to select some objects, even if they are in front of your face. And so many more things. But the uv editor, completely ruined my workflow again, since i want and i like to do my uving within maya, i hate to depend on external programs. And this time i dont have any other choice than switching to other 3d app. Shame on you Autodesk, for real. I dont have words lol.

Message 54 of 73
Anonymous

I have the same problems with the UV editor.  I use dual monitors, and when the UV editor opens, the right side with the controls expands across both monitors.  It's insane.  I'm back to using only 2016.5.

Message 55 of 73
rimcrazy

I've not gotten in yet to use the UV editor.  This is quite pathetic that so many people are having such significant difficulties.  Just when AD is trying to convince the world to drop permanent licenses for their subscription based business..... Ah... no.  I'm looking to see how I can switch to some other software like Modo/Houdini and drop this as soon as I can.  

MacStudio M2
128Gb, 4Tb
Sonoma 14.6.1
MacDisplay, Dell U3415W
Message 56 of 73
Anonymous

I agree.  It's obnoxious how they're not only raising the maintenance price, but also trying to sell us on trading in our perpetual licenses on versions that work, for rental subscriptions on new versions that have been unusable for over a year now.

Message 57 of 73
Anonymous

have you tried to do a fresh install including with out any plugins / scripts..... im having no issues with mine at all 

i7 6700k

16 g ram

amd 390x 8g 

Message 58 of 73
Anonymous

i even tested the uv editor to push my pc to the limit i did a uv set with 4 million poly gone and played around with each single tools and had no crashing b4 update 3 i could only dream of doing a massive poly count of such with out it crashing. the only issue i have is with bifrost but this is mainly becuase i have small amount of ram. 

as far as problems yes every software out there has its own problems there will never be a software to be flawless every time. only thing you can do is report the problems to them so they know what is going on if you dont report the problems its nearly impossible for any company to recreate every single problem speacialy if it comes down to a hardware driver problem if that is the case. im not saying blender and other softwares are not good becuase they are in their own way. its a matter of pref. 

have you updated your gpu recently just wondering cuz i think the uv editor runs on viewport 2.0 wich runs on the gpu sometimes not all the time new drivers can give issues with viewport 2.0 specaily with a gaming card being 1080 are design for gaming and not designing i know i did have issues with amd drivers in the past. 

i7 6700k

16 g ram

amd 390x 8g 

Message 59 of 73
Anonymous

"im having no issues with mine at all " dude, are you using maya 2017?? because i cant tell if this sentence is irony or you are making jokes. Every single user is having a million issues with maya 2017, and you going to be the only one with no issues?? hahaha. Dude, please go back to your cave. Autodesk maybe paying you a lot of money to say nonsense, but we are not newbies. And sure, a lot of 3d app have issues, but as many as maya 2017?? hahaha, i dont think so. And other 3d apps are far CHEAPER than maya and they are far better polished... Maybe you should actually try to use maya 2017 beyond just modelling a simple cube to actually see why EVERYBODY is unhappy...

Message 60 of 73
Anonymous

apperently you took everything i said completely wrong im not the one bashing maya right now i was replying to the ppl who was bitching about the update if you have read everything i did say mine is working 100 percent fine 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report